[Sust-mar] workshop on uneven-aged forests

Wild Words wildwords at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 13:30:49 EDT 2007

On November 10 in Old Barns (near Truro) there will be a free workshop and mini-field day designed to help woodlot owners learn how to practice and pay for uneven-aged management of their forests. Uneven-aged management is an alternative to clearcutting in which only a few trees are cut at any one time (also known as "selection management"). It allows woodlot owners to make money from their woodlands while protecting other forest values such as wildlife habitat. The workshop is free (but we'll ask you for some money to cover the cost of a meal). To attend, just show up around 9:30 (no later than 10) am at the Cobequid Fire District Fire Hall at 3830 Route 236, just outside of Old Barns. To get there, take Exit 14 off Highway 102. At the foot of the off ramp, turn west onto Route 236 (opposite direction from Truro) and drive about 2 k to the fire hall. Please come prepared for harsh weather and wear your hunter orange, as we plan to spend part of the day
 outside in an award-winning woodlot. The program is sponsored by the Nova Scotia Woodlot Owners and Operators Association, http://www.nswooa.ca