[Sust-mar] Solar Nova Scotia Digest

Daniel MacKay daniel at bonmot.ca
Mon Aug 25 10:24:21 EDT 2008

  // CONTENTS //
  / 1 / Halifax & Bridgewater Solar Shelter Courses!
  / 2 / Solar Tour, September 14th
  / 3 / Upcoming call for volunteers
  / 4 / Regular Messages

  / 1 / Solar Shelter Course
Tthe fall courses have been scheduled. You'll be notified by email if
any others are added.

Notice that the registration methods are different for each course.

HALIFAX: NS Community College, Leeds St, six Thursdays 7-10:00pm,
starting October 16. Register with Solar NS at 852-4758

BRIDGEWATER: Bridgewater High School, six Mondays 6:45-9:45pm,
starting October 20.  Register with Sandy Mair at 543-2274.

Fee for the Solar Shelter Course is $90 for individuals and $150 for
couples.  The course includes a hand out with an optional textbook
($15).  Further details call Solar Nova Scotia at 852-4758 or SolarNS.ca

  / 2 / Fall Solar Tour!!

What: Solar Nova Scotia Fall 2008 Home Tour
When: Sunday, 14 September, late morning
Who: Solar Nova Scotia members
	(you can join that day -- waged membership $20, unwaged $15)

Existing members: You can pay your dues during the tour too.

General Location: Granville Ferry & Bear River

No pot-luck this trip. Bring a box lunch.

Site 1:  Don Roscoe-designed off-grid family dwelling. Don will be
present as one of your tour guides. Seventy percent active/passive
solar heat. Photo-voltaic + wind power for electrical needs with
backup gasoline generator.

Site 2: New business establishment (winery) using mixture of
biodiesel, photovoltaic and wind power in conjunction with gravity
fed system for an interesting green-power establishment. We will take
our meal there in conjunction with wine tasting, if you desire.

We'll be organizing carpooling and a minivan from Halifax. The
minivan will leave peninsula Halifax at 9:00am.

As always, space is limited, so RSVP early:
* to register;
* for directions;
* to offer carpooling; (please tell us where you're leaving from)
* if you need a ride.

  / 3 / Upcoming call for volunteers
At the AGM, we identified several types of activities, each of which
should have a team of members to help make it happen.

Right now your board is writing a detailled description of the teams'
activities, and we'll have a call-for-volunteers once that's done. In
the meantime, here's a sneak preview; if you're called to any of
these teams - you can write back and volunteer right now!
* Newsletter Team (writing and publishing)
* Solar Question And Answer Team (and creating and maintaining our FAQ)
* Events (Solar Tour & Home Show)
* Membership Team (getting more and keeping the existing fully
gruntled.)

  / 4 / Meetings & Web Page

Perennial Maxwell's Plum Solar and Renewable Discussion Time

Friday night at Maxwell's Plum isn't just about boozing it up!  The
get-together lets us do a little society business and a lot of
discussion of renewable energy issues. So if you want to exchange
ideas, get some ideas, bounce ideas off, some Solar experts and
enthusiasts, Maxwell's Plum on a Friday evening -- about 5:30pm to
about 7:00 -- is the place to be! Find us at some grouped tables near
the windows.

The Solar Nova Scotia has as close as it comes, to a complete
directory of renewable energy suppliers as you'll find in Atlantic
Canada. Check out the list of corporate members here:

     http://solarns.ca/support.php