[Sust-mar] Special reminder about Natural Resource Strategy Deadline & Film Screenings!

NSEN nsen at cen-rce.org
Tue Jul 29 13:04:57 EDT 2008

Special reminder about Natural Resource Strategy Deadline & Film Screenings!

(1)
NATURAL RESOURCES VOLUNTARY PLANNING Submissions – July 31 deadline!
Go to the Voluntary Planning web site and review the conversation starter,
which provides a framework for discussions and written submissions. If you
missed the opportunity to attend one of the community meetings that were
held from May 12 to June 17 across the province, you can still contribute
through other methods. Call our office at 902-424-8644 or toll-free
1-866-858-5850. We will listen to your comments and take note of your ideas.
Complete the submission form online or download the submission form and/or
write us a letter:
Voluntary Planning
Suite 600, 1690 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3J9
Fax: 902-424-0580
Email: volplan at gov.ns.ca
Web site: http://vp.gov.ns.ca/projects/resources

(2)
FILM SCREENING: "SLUDGE DIET: SEWAGE SLUDGE & THE FOOD WE EAT"
Wednesday, July 30 from 7:00-8:45 PM Halifax
Room 307, Student Union Building, Dalhousie University, 6136 University
Avenue.
Halifax Harbour treatment plant is now up and running, the leftover sludge
has started to be sprayed on agricultural land in the province. Is it safe?
Our health, water and our natural environment may be at risk. The use of
sewage sludge in agriculture and regulating its use to prevent harmful
effects on soil, vegetation, animals and human beings - is a debate we must
have in this province. A free screening. All welcome. Organized by the Nova
Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) and NSPIRG. For more information, call
454-6846 or visit us online: www.nsen.ca

(3)
FREE FILM SCREENING: "WHO'S COUNTING? SEX, LIES AND GLOBAL ECONOMICS"
Thursday, July 31
7:00 - 9:00 PM at the Just Us! Café, 5896 Spring Garden Rd., Halifax
A provocative and powerful film! Starts at 7 PM sharp
Join us for fair trade coffee & snacks and watch this important film. David
Suzuki said, “I give the film every superlative – riveting, revealing,
inspiring, etc
It penetrates to the heart of the global, ecological, and
social crisis that afflicts the world
 required viewing for all who know we
are on a destructive path and want to get off.” Organized by the Nova Scotia
Environmental Network. For more information, please call (902) 454-6846,
email nsen at cen-rce.org or visit our web site: www.nsen.ca

(4)
PEACE DAY IN HRM ON WEDS. AUG. 6
Commemoration of the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan in
1945
UN International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the
Children of the World

Wednesday, August 6, 2008
3-4:30  pm World Peace Pavilion, Dartmouth Waterfront Park (near Alderney
Landing)
5-6:30 pm special film screening 'Hope for the Future'

Join us for our 4th annual Peace Day that will include greatings from the
Hakodate Friendship Society,Poetry, Music, Singing, and a Dedication of
Catlinite Stone used to makeSacred Peace Pipes by Mi'kmaq Elder Bill Lewis.
Speakers include Dr.Thomas Turay, Centre for Development and Peace Education
Sierra Leone,and Andria Lehr-Hill, author of 'A Mother's Road to Kandahar'.
Followed by Special Free Film Screening of 'Hope for the Future' with
Students for Teaching Peace from 5-6:30 pm Helen Creighton Room, Alderney
Public Library.

Free family event! Everyone is welcome!
Light refreshments will be provided. In case of rain, event will be held
inside Alderney Landing. For more information visit:
www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca or www.nsvow.org
Organizedby the Halifax Peace Coalition, Nova Scotia Voice of Women for
Peace,   Physicians for Global Survival, and Students for Teaching Peace.

(5)
MARITIME WATER RESOURCES SYMPOSIUM AUGUST 21-23
Maritime Water Resources Symposium: Watershed Health, Planning & Management
in Nova Scotia in Dartmouth from August 21-23. 2008. Water is life! Learn
more about our most precious natural resource in the province. Early bird
deadline for registration is August 1!
http://www.cwra.org/About_CWRA/CWRA_Branches/Nova_Scotia/Maritime_Water_Reso
urces_Sympo/maritime_water_resources_sympo.html

(6)
TWO SUMMER CAMPS FOR YOUTH – CHANGE YOUR WORLD!

*Sierra Club’s Ecotopia Youth Camp from August 25-28
http://www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic/getinvolved/events/ecotopia/ecotopia_home.
htm

*Social Justice Youth Camp: Youth Making a Difference Aug 28 – Sept 1, 2008
Thurs. 10am to Mon. 4pm
Our sixth annual camp is an opportunity for youth (ages 14-19) to learn how
to engage in social change work in the world – how they can make a
difference. Lots of games and dynamic activities mixed with politics and
action. Join youth from all over Atlantic Canada to discuss strategies
against racism, make videos and zines, build alliances, and have a whole lot
of fun! A diverse team of young adults from the region who actively live
their lives working for social change will facilitate the camp.Cost:
$300-400 (sliding scale). Bursaries available! 1-800-218-2220
www.tatacentre.ca or tatacent at tatacentre.ca

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director (NSEN)
Nova Scotia Environmental Network
55 Willowbend Ct.
Halifax, NS Canada B3M 3L3
Phone: 902-454-6846
Fax: 902-454-6841
Office Hours : M, W, F 10AM-5PM
Email: nsen at cen-rce.org
Web Site: www.nsen.ca
*NSEN : Connecting for a Sustainable Future*