[Sust-mar] PEI Social Forum October 16 'GPI'

IBS ibs_pei at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 15:27:03 EDT 2008

The Institute for Bioregional Studies Ltd. (IBS), invites you to join our Social Forums.
Each event begins at 7:00 p.m. with a potluck dinner, presentation and informal discussion. The intent is to share ideas and inform each other about social issues affecting our future.

Oct 16 Measuring Genuine Progress
Can we create a genuinely sustainable economy? An economy that delivers prosperity without damaging the most valuable things on earth - like clean air and water, fertile soil, nurturing families, strong and vital communities?

Ron Colman, Director of Genuine Progress Atlantic conducts research, which measures environmental, economic and social progress and wealth, and to assists leaders in business, government and communities in using the GPI perspective in their decision-making.

“To build a sustainable economy,” he says, “We need tools of analysis that properly value social, economic and environmental assets, tools that carefully appraise both costs and benefits, and balance them against one another. That's what's known as "full-cost accounting.”

And that's what the Genuine Progress Index is designed to provide.

 Phil Ferraro and Nancy Willis
Institute for Bioregional Studies Ltd.
114 Upper Prince Street, Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island Canada  C1A 4S3
902-367-0390
"Restoring Community, Protecting the Land and Informing the Earth’s Stewards"
www.ibspei.ca