[Sust-mar] Stephen Scharper coming to the Maritimes

Margaret Tusz King margaret at tatacentre.ca
Tue Mar 24 16:18:19 EDT 2009

Spend time with one of Canada's leading thinkers and writers, who deeply challenges our beliefs, politics and understandings of environment, taking us courageously into necessary new territories and ideas!

The Heart of the Human Project: Our Contemporary Vocation

May 11-13

Tatamagouche Centre

What is the goal of "civilization" if its thrust forward leaves behind the world's ecosystems and a large percentage of our children as veritable roadkill? What on earth are we doing?

Spend time with the irrepressible Stephen Bede Scharper, in hopeful exploration of the connections between liberation and ecological worldviews, the Option for the Poor and the Option for the Earth. Touch at the very heart of the human project. Using the framework of both a theology of liberation, such as espoused by Gustavo Gutierrez, and of the new cosmology, as proposed by Thomas Berry, courageously unmask the foundational questions raised by our global environmental and poverty crises. Build hope, and become empowered, not paralyzed, amidst the sobering reality of global warming and global poverty.

Leadership:

Stephen Bede Scharper is an Associate Professor of Environmental Ethics, Centre for Environment, University of Toronto, and the Department of Anthropology (UTM). A widely published essayist and popular lecturer, he is Faith and Ethics columnist for the Toronto Star, and author of Redeeming the Time; A Political Theology of the Environment. He will be joined by Wilf Bean and Nan Corrigan.

Cost: $390 ($235 tuition + $155 meals/accommodation)

To register, or for more information, please contact Tatamagouche Centre

1-800-218-2220 or www.tatacentre.ca