[Sust-mar] Nova Scotia's first Dark Sky Preserve?

Dave Chapman dave.chapman at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 17 09:57:05 EDT 2010

After about a year of meetings, site visits, photo sessions, and
coaching by RASC Halifax Centre, Kejimkujik National Park and National
Historic Site has submitted an application for Dark Sky Preserve
status to the appropriate RASC Committee. We wish the Committee speedy
deliberations and cross our fingers for a positive outcome.

Dark wilderness skies and responsible outdoor lighting are not only
topics of interest to astronomers, but are also of interest to those
studying habitats of nocturnal creatures (including humans!)

In any case, Keji is moving ahead with DSP-related programming this
summer, including training of interpreters in astro activities,
including a night-time session (we hope) and a session on aboriginal
sky lore (Muin and the Seven Bird Hunters). They have several astro-
related ampitheatre shows lined up, and are considering a Perseid
Meteor Shower event.

Several of us are "holding the day" for a possible July 17 Parks Day
event, but at this stage the details are scant and in fact may be a
bit premature!

We hope in about 2 weeks to have a "good news" announcement to make.
Dave Chapman              Outreach | Dark Sky Preserves

Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Halifax Centre

(902) 463-9103                www.astronomynovascotia.ca