[Sust-mar] Coordinator of Volunteers, Sierra Club, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Jun 18 17:00:20 EDT 2010

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Volunteer Coordinator

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Sierra Club Canada -- Atlantic Canada Chapter is a non-profit environmental organization based out of Halifax, NS. Sierra Club Canada is a member-based organization that empowers people to protect, restore and enjoy a healthy and safe planet.

Our focus is on five overriding threats: loss of animal and plant species; deterioration of the planet's oceans and atmosphere; the ever-growing presence of toxic chemicals in all living things; destruction of our remaining wilderness; and spiraling population growth and over consumption.

Since 2003, the Atlantic Canada Chapter has been delivering environmental education programs in the Atlantic Provinces. The programs are all hands-on, interactive and action-based. As a way to engage more stakeholders in our education programs, we are planning the formation of two formal advisory groups: Youth Advisory Committee and the Advisory Committee on Education.

To successfully complete this task, we will be hiring a part-time Volunteer Coordinator (Intern). This person will work 25 hours a week and will be expected to travel within all four Atlantic Provinces (NB, PEI, NS, NL). The Volunteer Coordinator will be based out of the Sierra Club's Halifax office.

Requirements:

- Willingness to travel throughout Atlantic Canada

- Ability to motivate and empower people of all ages

- Experience working with young people (aged 14-25) and in schools is a huge asset

- Experience with non-profit organizations

- Familiarity with project budgeting and reporting

- Ability to communicate well in both French and English

Qualifications:

- University/College degree (e.g. education; marketing and communications; environmental studies)

- Excellent time management skills

- Demonstrated commitment to environmental sustainability

- Strong outreach and communication skills

- Fundraising expereince

Duties:

- Facilitate the development of a strong Youth Advisory Committee and Advisory Committee on Education

- Travel around Atlantic Canada promoting the SCC-ACCs education programs and recruiting new volunteers/committee members

- Develop a strategic plan for the education division of Sierra Atlantic

- Work closely with the Chapter's other education staff

The overall goal of the Volunteer Coordinator (intern) will be to increase the capacity of Sierra Club Atlantic's education programs through multi-stakeholder engagement.

We are looking for an outgoing and reliable individual to fill this position.

Application Information:

Deadline: July 5th, 2010

Interviews will take place July 13th-16th, 2010.

Start date: July 19th, 2010

*****Preference will be given to recent graduates who are currently unemployed or underemployed, so please state this in your cover letter.*****

Remuneration:

$15 an hour at 25-30 hours a week for 48 weeks

Health and dental benefits available

Location: Halifax, NS

How to Apply:

Please send a cover letter and resume including contact information for 3 references to the attention of Jessica Dawe.

Contact Name: Jessica Dawe

E-mail: ecobuddies (@) sierraclub.ca

Mail/In Person:

1657 Barrington St.

Roy Building Suite 533

Halifax, NS B3J 2A1

By Fax: (902) 444 3116

For questions, please contact Jessica Dawe:

ecobuddies at sierraclub.ca or 902 444 3113.

Sierra Club Atlantic is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca