[Sust-mar] Living on Earth as if we want to stay; Maritimes discussions Sept 21 - Oct 6

Peter Watson pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 21 10:34:45 EDT 2010

Living on Earth as if we want to stay;
Talks and discussions around the Maritimes.
September 21 - October 6

The problems unfolding around us are located at our cultural foundations.  While there is a role for technology in the transformation, it is the goal that we are trying to accomplish that will determine our fate.  As long as our cultural story calls for perpetual expansion, we will progress toward overshoot and collapse.  When we acknowledge that we are stretching planetary limits and set our goal to living within those limits, we have the knowledge and ingenuity needed to secure the future.  It is a Question of Direction.
http://www.sustainwellbeing.net/question.html

We face a crisis of maturity. Physical growth is good for children; it is not good for adults. The human family is now grown up. Mike Nickerson will detail the challenge of accepting our maturity as a species and the opportunities that await when we make that choice. Life did not end for us as individuals when we became adults. In the same way there are great possibilities awaiting our societies when we accept the responsibility that comes with physical maturity.

Discussion will follow where time allows.

More detail at: http://www.sustainwellbeing.net

Events Scheduled in PEI, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia

September 21
Charlottetown, PEI
University of Prince Edward Island
Public Meeting
Atlantic Veterinary College Commons
7:00 pm

============

September 22
Montague, PEI
Montague Rotary
Perrin's Marina Villa
115 Sackville
7:00 am

============

September 22
Hampton, PEI
Bites Café
19566 Trans Canada Highway
7:00 pm

============

September 25
Hampton, NB
Hampton EnviroFair
Hampton High School,
34 Elizabeth Ave.

===

September 25
Moncton, NB
Food, Friends and Focus
Evening by invitation

============

September 26
Country Harbour, NS
Food, Friends and Focus
Evening by invitation

============

September 27
Antigonish, NS
Anglican Church Hall
West side of Church St. halfway between the Mall and Main St.
7:00 pm

============

September 28
Seaforth, NS
Seaforth Community Hall
6060 Hwy 207 on the Eastern Shore
Evening

============

September 29
Halifax, NS
Sacred Heart School
5820 Spring Garden Road
Noon

===

September 29
Halifax, NS
Peninsula South Community Association
Dalhousie Campus
Mona Campbell Building, 1459 LeMarchant St.
Room 1108
7:00 pm

============

September 30
Sackville, NB
Mount Alison U. & EOS EcoEnergy
Dept. Geography and Environment
Location to be announced.
1:00 - 3:00 pm

===

September 30
Sackville, NB
Mount Alison Lecture
Location to be announced.
7:00 pm

============

October 1
Digby, NS
Digby Community Education Centre
53 Mount St.
2:00 - 3:00 pm

============

October 2
Bear River, NS
Oakdane Community Centre
Evening

============

October 4
Sydney, NS
Sydney Academy
49 Terrace St.
Science 10
8:45 am
1:50 pm

===

October 4
Sydney, NS
The Atlantic Coastal Action Program Centre for
Sustainable Communities
582 George St.
7:00 pm

============

October 5
Sydney, NS
Riverview High School
57 Coxheath Road
Grade 12, Global Geography
10:05 am
11:15 am

===

October 5
Sydney, NS
Rotary Club of Sydney
Delta Sydney Hotel
12:15

===

October 5
Sydney, NS
Green Cape Breton
McConnell Library
50 Falmouth St
7:00

October 6
Truro, NS
Nova Scotia Agricultural College
Cox Building room 257
noon - 12:50

Possibly another event in Moncton on October 6 in the evening.
Ask at sustain5 at web.ca