[Sust-mar] Harvest Season Intern, f/t, Four Seasons Organic Farm, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Sep 10 22:05:13 EDT 2010

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Organic Farming Internships (2-openings for summer/fall seasons)

Type: full-time internship with meals, living expenses, accom., stipend/salary

Location: Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada

After such an wonderful season of good weather and

people, we are now in need of extra hands to bring in the

abundant harvest of vegetables and herbs. Any amount

of time more than a week that you might have to spend

working and learning would be greatly appreciated.

For more information, read our previous posting below or

or contact Nancy by email at: drnrjror at ns.sympatico.ca

or by phone: 902-261-2565 .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES

Farm work offers an incredibly rewarding and demanding

work environment and life experience.

Positions:

Each year Four Seasons Farm has had openings for interns. Our

crew is complete for 2010 except for 1-2 interns during the

challenging seasons of summer and fall.

Applicants who have previous work experience in agriculture

and related areas are preferred. However, students or new

entrants to organic farming are welcome to apply, as we hope

to encourage and teach people at many levels how to grow their

own food.

Farm Description:

Four Seasons Farm, family run since 1992, specializes in

organic vegetable and herb production for restaurants and

hotels in the Halifax area, as well as for the Halifax

Farmers Market, the largest market in the Maritimes.

It's a small farm of six acres where crops grow in the

field, as well as in minimally-heated greenhouses and six

high tunnels. A nearby property of 65- acres is divided by

cover crops with further planning open-ended. Both locations

are certified organic.

This coastal area is along the Gloosecap bicycle trail and

the mudflats of the Cobequid Bay.

Specific Educational Opportunities Offered:

Theory into practice of organic systems which utilize :

cover cropping, compost making, bio-dynamic preps, crop

rotation, seeding and transplanting, high tunnels for season

extension, irrigation building and maintenance (drip, overhead

and by hand), trellising and pruning, crop-specific harvesting,

cooking with fresh produce and quality ingredients and

setting up and selling at the farmers market.

There is individual instruction, group demonstrations, and

working with one another to pass along skills. Several

members of the team will be returning for another growing

season, sharing responsibility and leadership with the

owners. There is also the support of an agricultural library

of books, internet access, videos and farm journals, besides

the chance to meet many others involved in the local farm

and food revival.

Availability of Positions:

In 2010 we work from March/April to November/December,

with limited room for shorter stays as well. Let us know how

we can work with your availability. There is no deadline as

positions are filled on a rolling basis.

All meals and living expenses included.

Accommodations: single or double room in a large,

comfortable farmhouse or trailer.

Stipend/Salary: t.b.d.

A warm welcome to those who enjoy hard work, tasty food,

good conversation and music, and living with a diverse

group of people.

To Apply:

Please send cover letter and/or resume to:

drnrjror at ns.sympatico.ca  Or call (902) 261-2565

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sustainable Food & Agriculture Jobs and Internships in Canada

GoodWork Canada http://goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php?theme=food

ACORN (Atlantic Canada) http://acornorganic.org/training.html

CRAFT (Ontario) http://craftontario.ca/

Farmlink (Ontario) http://farmlink.net/

SOIL (Canada) http://soilapprenticeships.org/

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca