[Sust-mar] Healthy Water, Healthy Me! Contest Invites Students to Combine Creativity and Public Health

Hannah MacDonald hmacdonald at acapcb.ns.ca
Thu Oct 6 10:53:33 EDT 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 6, 2011

Healthy Water, Healthy Me! Contest Invites Students to Combine Creativity
and Public Health

Sydney, NS - Healthy water makes for healthy students, and will make for a
healthy art collection in the CBRM this fall. Elementary schools and
students are invited to participate in the annual poster contest hosted by
the CBRM Water Utility and ACAP Cape Breton. A popular contest amongst
schools, this year's theme asks students to explore the concept of public
health and tap water.

Students in grades primary to three can incorporate the slogan "Healthy
Water, Healthy Me!" into colourful drawings.

Students in grades 4 to 6 will promote awareness of source water protection
by exploring the concepts: "Treatment plants keep my tap water clean by." ,
" I keep my tap water clean by." and "I keep my water clean because..".

"Tap water is an important part of environmental stewardship. As students
explore the connection between their tap water and their lake or well, they
will understand the efforts needed to keep them clean," notes Susan King,
Executive Director of ACAP Cape Breton. "I look forward to seeing the
students' creative interpretations of everything from treatment plants to
public water protection."

The top six posters will be awarded prizes and be featured in the 2012 CBRM
Water Utility calendar. Each student who enters the contest, which closes on
Wednesday, October 19th, will receive an eco-H2O prize.

The Atlantic Coastal Action Program (ACAP) Cape Breton is a non-profit,
charitable community organization. Located at 582 George Street in Sydney,
this dynamic group integrates environmental, social and economic factors
into projects focusing on action, education and ecosystem planning.

-30-

Susan King

Executive Director

582 George St.