[Sust-mar] Solar power for one and all I think the time has come

Stephen Cahill cahillsj at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:57:20 EDT 2012

Hello to all
Well this is my first post. It may be long winded.
I have been doing research on solar for about 5 years now.
I am not a school trained person on the subject.

But I have learned a few things that bother me.
Did you know that the use of Photovoltaic panels in the COMFIT program is
not on the drawing board yet.
Now the
The dept of Energy is stating they will review it in 17 months.
Picture community groups, churches, service clubs having access to it now.
Every school in Nova Scotia  should be able to produce the power they need.
Our farmers with roofs that just soak up the solar isolation.
I am thinking there is a lot less costs in a study to see what harm will be
caused by a glass and plastic plate framed in aluminum sitting on a roof.
In comparison to under water turbines.

Ontario get the ball rolling a few years ago.
We now make Photovoltaic panels in Canada.They are so good they are even
certified for use in Germany.
The cost of PV panels is now in the sub $2.00 range. A far cry from the
$4.00 to $5.00 a few years ago.

Up to 60% of a PV array can now be bought from Canadian suppliers.
Should we not think Canadian when we can.

The net metering program is a huge leap forward for Nova Scotians.You can
get to a point where you are Grid Neutral.
The Grid is your battery bank. What is it worth to cut your monthly power
bill to 10.83 a month?

As I am on mission I will continue with LED lighting.
OK we do not make much in Canada, but the cost savings using them are huge.
These are not like your CFL lights. Picture a light that is rated at 50,000
hours.
That is 8 hours a day for 17 years.

Well I  think I have put up some information for debate.
I will welcome any comments.

Stephen