[Sust-mar] Summer Job Posting: NSPIRG Research & Publication Coordinator

Andrew Jantzen jantzenb.a at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:36:43 EDT 2012

NSPIRG job posting: Research & Publication Coordinator

 The Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG), is now accepting
applications for a RESEARCH AND PUBLICATION COORDINATOR.

Info at:
http://nspirg.org/2012/05/job-posting-research-publication-coordinator/

*DEADLINE:* Application deadline is Wednesday, June 6th at 11:00 PM. START
DATE: June 18th. Please send a cover letter and resume to:  info at nspirg.org

*
*

*ABOUT NSPIRG:*
NSPIRG (the Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group) is a non-profit,
social and environmental justice research and resource centre. We are
located in Room 314 of the Student Union Building at Dalhousie University.
NSPIRG’s mandate is to empower, educate and inspire action on social
justice issues in Nova Scotia. We are a student and volunteer-driven
organization working within an anti-oppression framework. We engage in
critical campaigns, public education, and offer radical resources to the
campus and community.

For more information about NSPIRG, our working groups and current
campaigns, visit our office at 6136 University Avenue (the Dal Student
Union Building), room 314. Phone us at 494 – 6662. Visit our website at
www.nspirg.org

*
*

*
*

*JOB DESCRIPTION:*
NSPIRG produces original research, the topics often vary but the consistent
thread is that they are driven by community need and interest. The Single
Mothers Survival Guide was first published in 1990 and has been updated six
times since, it is a resource for women facing single motherhood needing
contacts, resources and simply guidance. NSPIRG is also embarking on the
development of an attractive, user-friendly, dynamic website looking at
“Environmental Racism/Justice in Canada”. This would be a public education
and research-based portal with a case study section on Nova Scotia.

*
*

*Responsibilities:*
The research coordinator will be responsible for the development of two
publications produced by NSPIRG as well as preparing contribution to a
monthly publication of a partner organization. Tasks include research,
interviews, writing and coordinating the layout, printing, distribution,
and promotion of the publications.

*
*

*Project title and responsibilities Estimated Time*:
1. Environmental Racism Project 50.00%
-Organize a database of multimedia (based on existing video, audio,
reports) on the topic.
-Coordinate meetings with researchers and community members to establish
scope and materials for website. Develop website structure, web design and
layout. Recruit/coordinate team to develop the site.
-Identify and apply for funding to finalize and maintain website/social
media for online promotion

2. Single Mothers Survival Guide – A resource guide for women facing single
motherhood 30.00%
-Reviewing existing guide, research, contacting people and organizations
resulting in a current guide.

3. Newsletter Contribution 20.00%
-Write a monthly column of approximately 50-100 words for submission to
local independent media.

The ideal candidate possesses some or all of the following qualifications:

   - Dedication to challenging oppression of all forms
   - Experience doing community based and participatory research and
   compiling information
   - Experience with Mac operating systems, Microsoft Office , and design
   software
   - Experience with internet publishing and promotion
   - Familiarity working within a non-profit organization, and commitment
   to NSPIRG’s mandate
   - Ability to work independently
   - Familiarity and experience working in web development
   (wordpress,HTML,CSS),mapping and/or geomatics (GIS) and social media
   considered an asset.

*
*

*SPECIFICS:*
This is an 8 week HRSDC funded position. Start Date: Monday, June 18th

*
*

*ELIGIBILITY:*
The terms of eligibility for applicants, as defined by HRSDC, are as
follows. The applicant:

1.Must be a Canadian resident not currently employed elsewhere full-time.
2.Must be 15-30 years of age.
3.Must be a full-time University student in the previous and coming year.

NSPIRG has an anti-oppression hiring policy, which recognizes and welcomes
the unique contributions that individuals from diverse communities bring to
our organization, and invites individuals from these communities to apply.
We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as
individuals with diverse experiences would bring to  NSPIRG in their cover
letter or resume.

*
*

*TO APPLY:*
Applications (cover letter and CV) may be dropped off at:
NSPIRG-Dal Hiring Committee Room 314, 6136 University Ave Halifax, NS B3H
4J2
Or emailed to: info at nspirg.org <info at nspirg.org>

DEADLINE: Wednesday  June 6th 2012, 11pm