[Sust-mar] Praise Queen Victoria for our right to fish

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat May 26 11:03:01 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

Are you an angler? Perhaps take part in the commercial fishery?
Perhaps an aboriginal fisher? If so you may be interested in the
following story:

	Praise Queen Victoria for our right to fish
	http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Praise+Queen+Victoria+right+fish/6669043/story.html

Our right to catch fish goes back to 1215 AD and the Magna Carta. The
public fishery is one of England’s great legacies to the English-
speaking people of the world. Magna Carta is why, unlike forests,
minerals and land, the people of Canada own the fishery, not the
government. Why is this suddenly of interest? Hidden inside the Harper
Conservatives' budget bill are changes that will terminate the
public's right to fish. As Phil Eidsvik, a commercial fisherman and
former executive director of the British Columbia Fisheries Survival
Coalition, writes:

"If the budget bill becomes law, the fisheries minister will be able
to take fish from the public fishery and give it to his friends
through so-called fishery agreements. The budget bill even lets the
minister finance his department with the people's fish. Crafty use of
fishery management agreements may even close certain waters to anyone
but the friends of the minister."

If you're concerned, read this article -- and then contact your Member
of Parliament.

Best wishes,

Chris

Christopher Majka
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 2G5
c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill