[Sust-mar] My last upcoming events: Give Peace a Chance Aug. 27 + My farewell to Nova Scotia

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Mon Aug 26 14:00:44 EDT 2013

*This is my last upcoming events - I'm leaving NS!

Hello Sust-Mar!

It would mean a lot to me if those of you in Halifax could come tomorrow
Tuesday, Aug. 27 at noon at city hall to make a human peace symbol (rain or
shine). After there is a peace cake reception (with a gourmet chocolate cake
from Le French Fix and with appetizers and a vegan cake from the Wooden
Monkey) My husband, kids and I are moving from Nova Scotia to England on
Sept. 5. and we might not see you again! It has been a long relationship
with Sust-Mar :)

(1)
Human peace symbol in front of city hall!
Tuesday, August 27
12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
Grand Parade Square
1841 Argyle St., Halifax
With a special poetry reading by Halifax's Poet Laureate El Jones Roger
Davies “Prayer in the Form of Cranes”, Hossam Abou Adma on Egypt, Singer
Sandy Greenberg Please join us and form a human peace symbol for the first
time in front of city hall. We are calling on Mayor Savage to join Mayors
for Peace and for Halifax to be a City for Peace. We will also be calling
for a ceasefire and a non-violent resolution to the current tragic crises in
Egypt and Syria. We want to promote the values of peace, non-violence and
friendship in our city and in our world. Let's give peace a chance! Please
wear a white shirt. Halifax Poet Laureate El Jones will read a special poem
dedicated to peace. Hossam Abou Adma will speak about Egypt. Poet and Quaker
Roger Davies will read his poem “Prayer in the Form of Cranes”. Sandy
Greenberg of the Voice of Women will sing a song. Event will take place rain
or shine. Don't miss it! It will be historic! All welcome. Family-friendly.
*Followed by a peace cake reception across the street at the Wooden Monkey
Restaurant (2nd floor)!* Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. Web:
www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

(2)
WEDNESDAY AGAINST WARSHIPS PROTEST
Wednesday, August 28
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Outside the Irving Shipyard, 3099 Barrington St., Halifax At the Niobe Gate
Entrance near Devonshire Avenue. A weekly protest against the federal
government's plan to spend $25 billion to build new warships for the navy
instead of investing in urgent social and environmental needs of Canadians.
For more information, please visit: www.demilitarize.ca

(3)
WEDNESDAY AGAINST WARSHIPS PROTEST
Wednesday, September 4 (my last one!)
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Outside the Irving Shipyard, 3099 Barrington St., Halifax At the Niobe Gate
Entrance near Devonshire Avenue. A weekly protest against the federal
government's plan to spend $25 billion to build new warships for the navy
instead of investing in urgent social and environmental needs of Canadians.
For more information, please visit: www.demilitarize.ca

(4)
*Rise & Stuff
Sourdough Bread & Sausage Making Workshop Sunday, September 8th. | 10am to
7pm. | $60 * Join us for a day of baking and charcuterie at the Deanery
Project.
Sourdough aficionado and Gold Island Bakery proprietor Jess Ross and
prolific purveyor of perfect Pork Al Melnik will introduce workshop
participants to their processes for making Sourdough Bread and Sausages from
scratch.
Jess Ross will lead participants step by step through working with their own
sourdough starter, making a bread sponge and creating a dough ready for
baking.
Al Melnik will take us through buying and preparing cuts of meat, seasoning,
and stuffing sausages in a variety of styles.
$60 includes all supplies and dinner of Bread and Sausages (potluck items
welcome).

(5)
Halifax Labour Day Parade
Monday, September 2, 2013 is a day to celebrate the power of our collective
labour and solidarity. Together, we recognize and honor The contributions of
all workers who struggle to make a fair wage and create a meaningful and
just society.
We will meet at Victoria Park 10:30 am for a rally, then march to the
Halifax Commons Triangle for a FREE:
- concert (Entertainment TBA)
- BBQ
- speeches
- Bouncy Castles
- Face Painting
- Cotton Candy, Snow Cones, Popcorn and more!
https://www.facebook.com/events/366805206752353/

(6)
Book Launch: You Can Too! Preserving the Maritime Harvest WhenThursday,
September 5, 2013 Time7:00pm Where The Company House, 2202 Gottingen Street
Description Celebrate harvest time with me and my new book (and lots of
local yummies)!
Wear your favourite apron.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/536683693054113/

(7)
Cannabis Education & Med-ucation
Sept. 6-8
https://www.facebook.com/events/283446998458149/?suggestsessionid=e79f5377f3
8fa40d94b72da8d062cb17

(8)
A Glimpse at the Future of Canada’s Ocean Playground with François Bregha &
Christine Stortini Implications of climate change for waters in Nova Scotia,
including descriptions of what is occurring in the region and what
consequences it may have in the future.
Spring Garden Rd. Memorial Public Library Tuesday, September 10/7:00 pm
http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/programs.html

(9)
Film - Transition Bay: Do the Math, The Movie People curious or concerned
about issues of carbon dioxide emissions and use of fossil fuels are invited
to the screening and the lively discussion following it.
Tantallon Public Library
Thursday, September 19/7:00 pm
http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/programs.html

(10)
A People’s History of Nova Scotia: A conference by Solidarity Halifax
October 4-5 This conference will unite radical stories of resistance in Nova
Scotia, and present history as a site of tension, failure and change, not
simply as an object for consumption. The conference will honour the
particularities of our movements, while creating an opportunity to examine
our struggles collectively from an anti-capitalist perspective. Knowing our
legacy of left resistance in Nova Scotia will help us push further and
harder in our current struggles.
Speakers include: George Elliot Clarke, Lynn Jones, Pat Kipping, Evan Coole
and more! Together they will tell stories of occupations, strikes, and
liberation movements, and of big wins, hard losses, and pivotal lessons. The
conference will also honour the memory of Rocky Jones.
Mark your calendar!
6pm – 9pm, Friday, October 4, 2013
9am – 4pm, Saturday, October 5, 2013
Stay tuned for registration information.
solidarityhalifax.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/358970744228525/

(11)
Alternative Trade: Critical Approaches & New Directions in Trade and
Development Saint Mary's University All events at Secunda Marine Boardroom,
Room 401, Sobey School of Business (map) Description Friday, November 1,
2013 Panel 1 (9:30-11:00): New Dynamics of North-South Relations Panel 2
(11-12:30): North-South Relations & the New Extractivism Book Launch
(2-2:45pm) Alternative Trade: Legacies for the Future Dr. Gavin Fridell,
Canada Research Chair in International Development Studies Keynote Address
(3-4pm): Dr. Walden Bello Internationally renowned scholar and activist,
sitting member of the Congress of the Philippines, and recipient of the
Right to Livelihood Award in 2003 http://smu.ca/newsreleases/

*
Farewell friends in Nova Scotia! After 14 years here, I'm moving to England.
You'll be able to find out what I'm up do via my web site:
www.demilitarize.ca

Forever in solidarity for peace, earth & justice,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
Email: tlorincz at dal.ca

DEMILITARIZE: http://www.demilitarize.ca BLOG "Wednesdays against Warships":
http://demilitarize.ca/wp/

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not
spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius
of its scientists, the hopes of its children." - Former US President D.
Eisenhower, 1953