[Sust-mar] TODAY: Rise against Violence; Rise against Warships & Have your say in provincial and federal budgets now

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Thu Feb 14 09:36:57 EST 2013

Hello Sust-Mar friends!

Two things:

(1)
TODAY: RISE AGAINST VIOLENCE; RISE AGAINST WARSHIPS AT 4PM AT SHIPYARD

In solidarity with women rising for peace and justice around the world!

What: Rise against Violence; Rise against Warships

When: Thursday, February 14 from 4:00- 5:00 p.m.

Where: In front of Irving Shipyard and Naval Dockyard, 3099 Barrington St.
(at Niobe Gate entrance, near Devonshire Ave.)

Why: Warships are for war and violence, warships are not good for the
economy, warships are not good for Mother Earth, spending on warships
deprive us of resources needed for urgent environmental and social program.
In solidarity with 1 Billion Rising against violence against women:
http://onebillionrising.org/

Today's news on the Irving (war)ship contract - most jobs in Phase I outside
of Canada and to US weapons manufacturers:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/688927-questions-arise-as-next-phase
-in-shipbuilding-deal-nears

" Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not
spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius
of its scientists, and the hopes of its children. "

-Dwight Eisenhower, former U.S. General and President, 1953, A Chance for
Peace

Find out more at DEMILITARIZE: www.demilitarize.ca

Read about my meeting with the President of the CAW Marine Workers on my
blog "Wednesdays against Warships": http://demilitarize.ca/wp/

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tamaralorincz @TamaraLorincz

(2)
GIVE YOUR INPUT NOW INTO THE FEDERAL AND PROVINCIAL BUDGET & NEW ECONOMY
CONSULTATIONS

*Please give your input into the provincial government's new public
consultations taking place now across the province "Building the New
Economy": http://onens.ca/  (Wolfville Feb. 19 and Truro Mar. 28)

*Please give your input into the provincial government's budget here:
http://www.novascotia.ca/finance/en/home/default.aspx (there's a survey that
take 2 minutes)

*Please give your input now into the federal government's budget here:
http://www.fin.gc.ca/prebudget-prebudgetaire/1-eng.asp (take 5 minutes)

Please call for investment in urgent social and environmental programs
(mental health care, affordable housing, action on climate change, marine
protected areas, EI support, education etc...) No warships / No armed drones
/ No fighter jets.

***

Thank you!

In solidarity for peace, earth & justice

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
Email: tlorincz at dal.ca
DEMILITARIZE: http://www.demilitarize.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967

"Without a doubt, military spending represents the single most significant
perversion of worldwide priorities known today." Former President of Costa
Rica and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Oscar Arias, 1999