[Sust-mar] 24 Upcoming Events: Garden Jamboree, Moncada Day, Nature Walks & More!

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Tue Jul 23 00:20:12 EDT 2013

Hello Sust-Mar!

Sorry for the cross-postings.

Happy Pride Week! 24 upcoming events plus a news flash and take action!

Please feel free to circulate! Thank you!

(1)
FAIRVIEW GARDEN JAMBOREE
With special book launch & signing by author Elizabeth Peirce "You Can Too:
Canning, Pickling & Preserving the Maritime Harvest"
Wednesday, July 24
6:30-8:30 p.m.
52 Alex St., Halifax
Sharing our space, knowledge and food at Ecole Burton Ettinger Elementary
School. A chance to show the community our new orchard, butterfly gardens,
raised vegetable beds, bog, and Friendship Circle at our school. Bring
something to share from your garden or kitchen. Bring a musical instrument
or game. Bring your passion or questions about gardening Jill Ratcliffe,
gardening guru, will be on site.
There will also be a special book launch and signing by award-winning author
Elizabeth Peirce of her newest book "You Can Too: Canning, Pickling &
Preserving the Maritime Harvest". She will also have her book "Grow Organic:
A Simple Guide to Nova Scotia Vegetable Gardening" available for sale.
Free garden party. All Welcome. Rain or shine. Funded by the Chebucto West
Community Health Board. For more information, please call 478-1379.
Facebook for July 24th: https://www.facebook.com/events/622538671099475/

(2)
BOOK LAUNCH & SIGNING " YOU CAN TOO: CANNING, PICKLING & PRESERVING THE
MARITIME HARVEST"
Author Elizabeth Peirce
Wednesday, July 24
6:30-8:30 p.m.
Burton Ettinger Elementary School
52 Alex St., Halifax
Book launch and signing by award-winning author Elizabeth Peirce of her
newest book "You Can Too: Canning, Pickling & Preserving the Maritime
Harvest". She will also have her book "Grow Organic: A Simple Guide to Nova
Scotia Vegetable Gardening" available for sale and signing.
For more information, please call 478-1379.

(3)
WEDNESDAY AGAINST WARSHIPS Protest
Wednesday, July 24
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Outside the Irving Shipyard, 3099 Barrington St., Halifax At the Niobe Gate
Entrance near Devonshire Avenue. A weekly protest against the federal
government's plan to spend $25 billion to build new warships for the navy
instead of investing in urgent social and environmental needs of Canadians.
For more information, please visit: www.demilitarize.ca

(4)
HALIFAX PRIDE WEEK EVENTS
Every day this week from 12-1pm at the Spring Garden Library Lecture series
TIME OUT: http://halifaxpride.com/events/

(5)
MONCADA DAY COMMEMORATION 2013
2-6pm, Friday, July 26
Victoria Park (corner Spring Garden Road & South Park).
  July 26, 2013 will mark the 60th anniversary of the act that is annually
celebrated all over Cuba as the beginning of the movement and struggle that
paved the way for the Cuban Revolution. On that day 60-years ago, Cuba's
rebels rose up against the U.S.- supported dictatorship of Fulgencio
Batista. Although that first battle was lost, the Revolution ultimately
prevailed on January 1, 1959. On July 26, 2013 we gather for the sixth
annual commemoration to remember and honour those who were lost on that day,
and to celebrate Cuba's independence. There will be performances from noted
Nova Scotian jazz artist Jeff Goodspeed (director of the famous youth music
group Los Primos), El Jones (Halifax’s Poet Laureate), and much more! There
will also be a book-display! Also, please note that at 6:30 pm in Rm 303
Dalhousie Student Union Building (6136 University Avenue) there will be a
screening of the acclaimed film, Moments with Fidel.
These are free events organized by the Nova Scotia Cuba Association. Other
sponsors include: Canadian Network on Cuba, Canadian Union of Postal
Workers, Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group, Nor Harbour for War
Committee.

(6)
MOMENTS WITH FIDEL
A film screening
6:30pm, Friday, July 26
Rm 303 Dalhousie Student Union Building
6136 University Avenue
Fidel Castro served as the leader of Cuba's government for over five
decades, since revolutionary forces toppled the Batista regime in 1959.
Castro has had to survive over 600 assassination attempts. Cuban director
Rebeca Chávez uses archival film and audio material to create a collage of
important moments in Castro’s political and personal life, including his
re-definition of Cuba’s role after the collapse of the Communist Bloc.
"An exceptional history of the Cuban Revolution. Timely not only as an
emblematic collection about one of the most passionate and controversial
episodes in modern history, but also because it cleans the way of lies and
myths manufactured and repeated by the media." -CubaNow.net. A free event
organized by the Nova Scotia Cuba Association. Other sponsors include:
Canadian Network on Cuba, Canadian Union of Postal Workers,  Nova Scotia
Public Interest Research Group, Nor Harbour for War Committee.

(7)
HRM DIVERSE WALKS SHUBIE PARK
August 3 from 1-3pm
HRM Diverse Walks is a monthly walk created for those of us who are
interested in learning more about the history and nature in and around the
city we call home. This month's walk will be led by Mr Bernie Hart,
volunteer heritage secretariat at the Fairbanks Centre and a former teacher
and chief education curator at the Nova Scotia Museum. As a researcher at
the Fairbanks Centre, he's an expert in the human history of Shubie Park,
and is also very knowledgeable of the plants and wildlife in the area. But
don't worry, he'll be the only expert on the trail with us, everyone else
will be just as eager to learn as you are! The walk will be over gentle
terrain and is suitable in both difficulty and content for budding
naturalists and historians of all ages.
We will meet August 3rd in the Fairbanks Centre at 54 Locks Road, off of
Waverly Road in Dartmouth at 1PM.
More info: https://www.facebook.com/HRMDiverse

(8)
FAIRVIEW GARDEN JAMBOREE
With special book launch & signing by author Elizabeth Peirce "You Can Too:
Canning, Pickling & Preserving the Maritime Harvest"
Wednesday, August 7
[...]
Facebook for August 7th: https://www.facebook.com/events/311536965648659/

(9)
WEDNESDAY AGAINST WARSHIPS PROTEST
Wednesday, August 7
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Outside the Irving Shipyard, 3099 Barrington St., Halifax At the Niobe Gate
Entrance near Devonshire Avenue. A weekly protest against the federal
government's plan to spend $25 billion to build new warships for the navy
instead of investing in urgent social and environmental needs of Canadians.
For more information, please visit: www.demilitarize.ca

(10)
Wednesday, August 7, 2013
6:30-8:30 p.m.
Burton Ettinger Elementary School
52 Alex St., Halifax
Book launch and signing by award-winning author Elizabeth Peirce of her
newest book "You Can Too: Canning, Pickling & Preserving the Maritime
Harvest". She will also have her book "Grow Organic: A Simple Guide to Nova
Scotia Vegetable Gardening" available for sale and signing.
For more information, please call 478-1379.

(11)
FROM THE BALLOT BOX TO THE STREET: Exploring the tensions between electoral
politics and social movements Thursday, August 8, 2013 Time6:00pm
Description In the lead up to the upcoming provincial election, Solidarity
Halifax invites you to a panel discussion exploring how the left, and in
particular the anti-capitalist left, should orient itself towards electoral
politics in these times of crisis.
Speakers:
Roger Rashi, Québec solidaire
Jackie Barkley, Solidarity Halifax
Roger Rashi is a founding member of the political party Québec solidaire and
sits on the steering committee of the riding of Mercier which first elected
Amir Khadir to the Quebec National Assembly in December 2008 and reelected
him with a bigger majority in 2012. The party, which was formed in 2006,
currently holds two seats in the Quebec legislature.
Jackie Barkley is a long time activist and member of groups working against
racism, poverty and capitalism over a 45 year period - while continuing to
work in electoral politics as part of that struggle. She is a founding
member of Solidarity Halifax.
The tensions:
While systemic change rarely comes from elections, is there still a need for
radicals to participate in electoral politics? Can electoral politics be
used to shift public debate toward an anti-capitalist analysis? Are social
movements and revolutionary politics fundamentally at odds with electoral
politics? Or can political parties or left groups with political wings still
be used to grow social movements and our ability to take collective action?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/421779187937556/

(12)
MONARCH BUTTERFLY DAY
Aug 10- 1:00-4:00 PM
Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park. Check our website
http://wildlifepark.gov.ns.ca/. Learn about this amazing species at risk,
its threats to survival, unbelievable migration path, lifecycle and habitat.
If any adult butterflies are ready for flight join us at 3:00 pm for a
release party.

(13)
CROW NECK SOUTH SHORE BIRD WALK
Sunday, August 11 - Bird Studies Canada and the Nature Trust are hosting a
free guided walk at the Crow Neck Beach Conservation Lands. Piping plovers
are regular visitors to the beach and we expect to see many other
shorebirds. More info and to register: http://nsnt.ca/

(14)
EVENING IN THE GARDEN URBAN FARM MUSEUM OF SPRYFIELD
Tuesday, August 13th  6:30 - 8pm, Farm Field
Urban Farm Museum of Spryfield
The Urban Farm is Halifax's secret garden tucked in amongst a grove of trees
in the Spryfield community. It can be a challenge to find but our gardens on
the Kidston's traditional farm field are well worth tracking down.
The Urban Farm is at the corner of  Rockingstone Rd and Ardwell Ave. follow
the path through the  split rail fence and take the first gravel path on
your left hand side up to the garden.
http://www.urbanfarmspryfield.com/programs

(15)
MOONLIGHT NIGHT TOUR
Aug 17- Saturday- 9:00 PM to 10:30 PM. Have you ever heard wolves howl at
night?  Join us in an easy, guided moonlight walk of the Shubenacadie
Provincial Wildlife Park Pre- registering required. For more information or
to pre-register  email  legacycentre at gov.ns.ca or phone 902-758-5316.

(16)
SCHOOL GARDENS
August 21, 2013 at 7 pm
Royal Bank Theatre, HI site, QE II, 1796 Summer Street
Common Roots Urban Farm hosts a series of free public talks that explore
people-plant connections which have positive health outcomes. Gardening with
children is quickly becoming a favourite activity at school. Supporting this
effort is the provincial School Garden Initiatives. Learn about this
program, school gardens in the Halifax Regional School Board area and other
great activity that is growing across the province. Speaker: Rick Hoeg,
Agricultural Education Liaison, Nova Scotia Dept. of Agriculture - See more
at: http://partnersforcare.ca/urban_farm/workshops-health-talks-and-articles
Contact: Carrie Gilbert/Communications Developer
Common Roots Urban Farm
http://partnersforcare.ca/urban_farm/
Ph. (902) 441-4288 (Jayme Melrose)
carriegilbert85 at gmail.com

(17)
HOPE FOR WILDLIFE 12th Annual Open House
5909 Hwy 207, Seaforth, from 12-4pm on August 25. Free admission! Wildlife
displays, BBQ, music, & fun for the whole family! More info:
http://www.hopeforwildlife.net/

(18)
YOUNG WOMEN PEACE LEADERSHIP CAMP, PUGWASH, NOVA SCOTIA
Peace Leadership Summer Camp in Nova Scotia from August 23 – August 25, 2013
Apply now Nova Scotia camp application form:
http://vowpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Nova-Scotia-camp-application-
form1.pdf

(19)
SOCIAL JUSTICE YOUTH CAMP 2013
Aug 26 - Aug 30, 2013 Mon 2:00 PM - Fri 1:00 PM $450.00
There are full and partial bursaries available for this program.
We bring youth together from all the different communities and cultures in
the Maritimes for a camp that focuses on social justice and environmental
issues, culture, and gender, race and injustice.  Since 2003 over 300 youth
have participated in this program – making it the longest running camp of
its kind in Canada. Join the SJYC community!
This multicultural camp is an opportunity for youth (ages 14-19) to learn
how to make a difference. Lots of games, dynamic activities and discussions
will be mixed with awareness and action.  Join youth from all over Atlantic
Canada to practice strategies against racism, use arts against injustice,
discuss gender relations and cultural contexts, build alliances, and have a
whole lot of fun!  The camp will be facilitated by a diverse team of young
adults from the region who actively live their lives working for social
change.
Program Cost: $450 ($210.50 tuition + $329.50 meals/accommodations)
There are full and partial bursaries available for this program.
Application and Bursary form
Health and Consent form
Special thanks to Colchester United Way for supporting this program.
Web: https://www.tatacentre.ca/index.php/programs/details/1918

(20)
CROSSING STONY GROUND: EARTH SPIRIT AND JUSTICE FOR CHALLENGING TIMES WITH
STARHAWK 2013
Aug 30 - Sep 1, 2013 Fri 7:00 PM - Sun 1:00 PM $490.00
This weekend retreat with author and activist Starhawk is an opportunity to
re-root your spirit, politics, and day-to-day life in a deeper relationship
with the Earth.
In this crucial moment of history, we are more than ever called to step into
our full power and creativity, to hold our vision and the commitment to make
it real. Yet how do we maintain enthusiasm, hope, and love through times of
systemic breakdown when the old answers -- spiritual, political, and
emotional -- no longer serve? How do we weather the conflicts and
disappointments that inevitably arise in our groups and communities of
support? And how do we find our renewal and regeneration in nature when the
natural world around us is threatened?
Starhawk draws on her decades of writing, teaching, and practicing
Goddess-oriented spirituality, as well as her front-line activism for social
and environmental justice, and her experience teaching ecological design,
permaculture, and bioremediation, to help us discover lasting sources of
personal, ecological, and community resilience. We will use some of the
tools of magic -- ritual, visualization, song, and drumming -- as well as
the principles of permaculture to move through conflict and despair to fresh
springs of inspiration. And we’ll learn practical tools for translating our
deep, core values into strategies, goals, and plans for action.
Program Cost: $490 ($332 tuition & registration / $158 meals &
accommodations)
Commuter price: $395 (no overnight, no breakfast)
Please register as soon as you can as this program will fill up quickly
Leadership
Star hawk
StarhawkStarhawk is the author or co-author of twelve books on Goddess
religion, earth based spirituality and activism, including The Spiral Dance,
and The Fifth Sacred Thing, now in development as a feature film with Yerba
Buena Films. Her latest book is The Empowerment Manual: A Guide for
Collaborative Groups, which examines power, process, and conflict for groups
that organize without top-down leadership.
A committed activist for global justice and the environment, she is a
veteran of progressive movements, from anti-war to anti-nukes to Occupy, is
a highly influential voice in the revival of Goddess religion, and has
brought many innovative techniques of spirituality and magic to her
political work. She has trained activists in direct action and organizing,
taught earth-based ritual, healing, and community building world-wide, and
directs Earth Activist Training, which combines permaculture design with a
grounding in spirit and a focus on organizing skills.
Starhawk writes a blog on permaculture, Paganism, and politics: "Dirt
Worship" at www.starhawksblog.org. Visit her website: www.starhawk.org
https://www.tatacentre.ca/index.php/programs/details/1999

(21)
A PEOPLE’S HISTORY OF NOVA SCOTIA: A CONFERENCE BY SOLIDARITY HALIFAX
October 4 at 6:00pm until October 5 at 4:00pm
This conference will unite radical stories of resistance in Nova Scotia, and
present history as a site of tension, failure and change, not simply as an
object for consumption. The conference will honour the particularities of
our movements, while creating an opportunity to examine our struggles
collectively from an anti-capitalist perspective. Knowing our legacy of left
resistance in Nova Scotia will help us push further and harder in our
current struggles.
Speakers include: George Elliot Clarke, Rocky Jones, Lynn Jones, Pat
Kipping, Evan Coole and more! Together they will tell stories of
occupations, strikes, and liberation movements, and of big wins, hard
losses, and pivotal lessons.
Mark your calendar!
6pm – 9pm, Friday, October 4, 2013
9am – 4pm, Saturday, October 5, 2013
Stay tuned for registration information.
solidarityhalifax.ca
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/358970744228525/

(22)
BUILDING SUSTAINABLE FUTURES CONFERENCE – OCTOBER 16th – 18th, 2013
Cape Breton University Verschuren Centre for Sustainability in Energy and
the Environment
Join leaders from across Nova Scotia to explore developing sustainable
community energy systems with leadership and innovation. Participants will
include business and community leaders, energy companies, consumer
organizations, NGO’s, government, policy makers, manufacturers, think tank
and investors – all coming together to openly discuss how Nova Scotia can
effectively meet the immediate and future energy challenges.
We have secured an exciting and diverse slate of speakers from both local
and international arenas with expertise in leadership, sustainable energy,
community engagement, economic development and culture change.  To review
the conference program: www.peak.ca/program or to view the speakers panel
at: www.peak.ca/speakers
Be part of a provincial conversation on:
•            How to advance community energy and environmental stewardship
related to electricity
•            How to develop a community-led sustainable energy
•            Ways to inspire change and share knowledge
•            Emerging best practices for a sustainable energy future
Participation is limited to 150 people so we strongly encourage people to
register as soon as possible. For more information on the conference
program, speakers, sponsorship / tradeshow opportunities, our conference
location and registration, go to the “Building Sustainable Futures
Conference” Website at: Building Sustainable Futures
We look forward to having you join us.

(23)
I VOW FOR PEACE VIDEO CONTEST
HOW TO ENTER
First you’ll need to register with YouTube.com to open your account. Upload
your video clips Be sure to include the phrase ‘I VOW 4 PEACE’ title
somewhere in the description. Send us the Public URL of the movie (for
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4FmcicbA5U) along with your name
and email address using info at vowpeace.org. We will add links to all the
entries on this page as we receive them. The public will vote on their
favorites.
The author of the winning video will win a 3 year Voice of Women Membership,
a spot to join VOW at the 58th UN Session on the Status of Women in NYC,
Free entrance to the 3- day Annual General Meeting (which includes the cost
of lectures and special performances), and I VOW for Peace Certificate
2rd Prize
1-year VOW membership, VOW for Peace Certificate
All entrants receive a VOW for Peace Certificate
http://vowpeace.org/

(24)
AQUACULTURE STRATEGY MEETINGS
Public Meetings Begin for Aquaculture Regulations
Public consultations to help Nova Scotia develop world-class aquaculture
standards that include economic development and environmental protection
begin next week.
In May, Fisheries and Aquaculture Minister Sterling Belliveau announced the
plan to develop regulations to ensure Nova Scotia has a more
environmentally, socially and economically sustainable aquaculture industry.
There are about 20 public meetings scheduled around the province over the
next seven weeks. The meetings will be led by independent consultants
Meinhard Doelle and Bill Lahey, both Dalhousie law professors.
"This information will be invaluable as we begin our work to develop a new
regulatory framework for aquaculture," said Mr. Lahey. "We look forward to
learning about the values, interests, priorities and concerns of all
interested members of the public," said Mr. Doelle.
Sessions will be 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 6:30-8:30 p.m. at each location. The
scheduled meetings are:
July 15 -- Mabou Community Centre, Hwy. 19, Mabou Old Orchard Inn,
        -- 153 Greenwich Road South, Wolfville
July 16 -- Cultural Centre, 17 Bay St. Lawrence Road, Cape North
        -- Royal Canadian Legion, 34 Duke St., Lunenburg
July 17 -- Days Inn, 480 Kings Rd., Sydney
        -- Emera Centre, 50 Queens Place Dr., Liverpool
July 18 -- Inverary Resort, Exit 9 Hwy. 105, 368 Shore Road,

Baddeck
        -- Shelburne Fire Hall, 63 King St., Shelburne
July 22 –- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 58, 23566 Hwy. 7, Sheet

Harbour
July 23 –- Oyster Pond Fire Hall, 51 Old Trunk Rd., Head of
Jeddore
July 24 –- St. James United Church, 3811 Old Sambro Rd., Sambro
July 25 -- Waterfront Jost House, 106 Main St., Guysborough
Village
July 30 -– The Rodd Grand Hotel, 417 Main St., Yarmouth
July 31 –- Annapolis Basin Conference Centre, Cornwallis Park,

Cornwallis
Aug. 19 -– Parrsboro Fire Hall, 252 Willow St., Parrsboro
Aug. 20 –- Best Western, 150 Willow St., Truro
Aug. 21 -- Tatamagouche Fire Hall, 202 Main St., Tatamagouche
Aug. 26 –- Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre, 606 Reeves St., Port

Hawkesbury
Aug. 27 –- Claymore Inn, 133 Church St., Antigonish
Aug. 29 -- Museum of Industry, 147 N. Foord St., Stellarton
The date and location of the Halifax meeting will be announced in later this
summer.
More information is available at www.aquaculturereview.ca.

***

NEWSFLASH
“Great Barrier Reef hit by unarmed bombs from U.S. jets”
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/21/bombing-barrier-reef.html

 Australian Sen. Larissa Waters, the influential Greens party's spokeswoman
on the Great Barrier Reef, described the dumping of bombs in such an
environmentally sensitive area as "outrageous" and said it should not be
allowed.

"Have we gone completely mad?" she told Australian Broadcasting Corp. "Is
this how we look after our World Heritage area now? Letting a foreign power
drop bombs on it?"

Graeme Dunstan, who is among the environmentalists and anti-war activists
demonstrating against the joint exercises, said the mishap proved that the
U.S. military could not be trusted to protect the environment.

"How can they protect the environment and bomb the reef at the same time?
Get real," Dunstan said from the Queensland coastal town of Yeppoon, near
where the war games are taking place.

The Great Barrier Reef, the world's largest network of coral structures, is
rich in marine life and stretches more than 3,000 kilometres along
Australia's northeast coast.

TAKE ACTION
Stand with Edward Snowden, the US whistleblower
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stop_prism_global/?vc

***

In solidarity for peace, earth & justice,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
Email: tlorincz at dal.ca

DEMILITARIZE: http://www.demilitarize.ca
BLOG "Wednesdays against Warships": http://demilitarize.ca/wp/

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not
spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius
of its scientists, the hopes of its children." - Former US President D.
Eisenhower, 1953