[Sust-mar] Our Food, summer job, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Mon May 12 11:27:48 EDT 2014

* Jobs in local & sustainable food - http://FoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOB POSTING

Position: Our Food Summer Student
Type: 10 week summer job / summer student position
Website: http://www.ecologyaction.ca
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Ecology Action Centre (EAC) Job Posting
2014 Our Food Summer Student (Halifax)

The Our Food Project supports a variety of community run gardens and food projects in the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM). We do so by offering workshops and skills training to residents, and by providing supplies, equipment and labour where necessary. We are seeking a driven and enthusiastic student with an interest in food issues, who is looking for a dynamic and challenging summer job opportunity.

The job will consist of working with community groups and organizations in HRM to strengthen their food and garden programming, and guide the construction of physical infrastructure (garden beds, compost bins, etc.). The summer student will work with both youth and adults to build strong community relationships, and to meet the respective needs of the various groups and organizations. This position will be supervised by the Community Food Programmer, who will assist the summer student in fulfilling their duties.

Our Food Summer Student’s duties include:
• A leading role in the design and construction of basic garden infrastructure, such as garden beds, compost bins and rain barrel installation.
• Working closely with community organizations to deliver garden and community food programming and support on a regular basis;
• Organizing, designing and facilitating workshops on basic garden skills, healthy cooking/eating, seasonal cooking, canning, and preserving, among others;
• Documenting, debriefing and evaluation of programming;
• Writing regular articles for the Adventures in Local Food blog;
• Supporting the work of the Food Action Committee and the Ecology Action Centre;
• Producing a final report at end of the summer;
• Other duties as required.

Required skills and experience:
• General building and carpentry skills, and comfortable supporting others in using basic construction tools
• Strong knowledge in organic vegetable gardening and some related topics (seed starting, composting, harvesting, plant care etc.);
• Strong knowledge in food preparation and preservation (healthy and seasonal cooking, canning, freezing, root cellaring etc.);
• Experience working with diverse communities on community development projects;
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
• Able to facilitate large groups of volunteers and community members;
• Strong organizational skills, self-directed, as well as team player;
• Experience developing and facilitating workshops and programs;
• Able to facilitate using consensus and capacity building techniques.

Desirable skills:
• Comfortable transporting workshop materials via bicycle trailer, bus or car.
• Knowledge of local food, food security and food politics.

Eligible Applicants must:
• Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred,
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally under-represented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities.

Terms of Employment

June 9th to August 15th

32 hours per week @ $15/hr for 10 weeks.

Location: Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Lane, Halifax

To Apply

Please email a cover letter and resume (including contact information for two references) to Will Hill at will at ecologyaction.ca

Posting Due Date: 4:00 pm Tuesday, May 21, 2013

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.

The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s most active environmental organizations. The Centre welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca