[sust-mar] Community Food Coordinator - Cumberland County, full-time, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Tue Oct 9 13:44:55 EDT 2018

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

JOB POSTING
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/909684

Position: Community Food Coordinator - Cumberland
Location: Cumberland County, Nova Scotia

ORGANIZATION

The Ecology Action Centre (EAC) is an environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. We take leadership on critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. We are grounded in community and are a strong voice and watchdog for our environment. We work to catalyze change through policy advocacy, community development, and building awareness. We take a holistic approach to the environment and our economy to create a just and sustainable society.

OUR FOOD PROJECT

Our Food Project (OFP) aims to strengthen communities’ relationship to food. Our vision is one in which the many voices of producers and eaters are part of decision-making around food and where food is at the heart of healthy, vibrant communities.

Through policy efforts, supporting food leaders, and strengthening the food movement, we help get food issues on the table and more good food on the tables of people in Nova Scotia and Southeast New Brunswick. We work closely with community leaders and organizations to enhance their efforts on food issues. We engage with policy makers and connect community to policy, so that food access and healthy food environments are considered in policy decisions. (Learn more at (http://www.ecologyaction.ca/ourfood).

POSITION

The Community Food Coordinator will work with partners in Cumberland County to increase capacity for leadership on food issues and community food initiatives (e.g., delivering our Community Food Leader Certificate Program) and contribute to policy change efforts locally. The Cumberland Coordinator will work with regional food networks to strengthen collaboration and amplify impact across the region.

We are seeking an experienced project manager and strategic thinker. The successful candidate has vision and passion for food in communities and excels at partnership development and community relationships. This individual is self-motivated, a strong communicator, and open to new and different ways of working.

Specific Responsibilities:
• Designing and delivering learning initiatives (e.g., the Community Food Leader Certificate Program) that enhance leadership for community food initiatives and build capacity within partner organizations and regional networks;
• Supporting the future direction and sustainability of the cost-share local food box program, and investigating and supporting other market-based ventures for community food, as appropriate;
• Collaborating with and supporting the development of regional networks, including aligning efforts around opportunities for collective action;
• Collaborating with Our Food Project staff and regional networks to identify and contribute to policy change efforts within the region, connected to provincial and national efforts;
• Supporting project communications, including but not limited to blogging, social media, and traditional media;
• Project administration duties, including but not limited to contributing to reports to the funder, budget management, and ensuring that project deliverables are met;
• Building relationships with potential funders and partners, identifying funding opportunities, and occasional proposal writing;
• Supporting project evaluation, data collection and reporting;
• Supporting the overall work of the Ecology Action Centre and food team; and
• Other duties as required.

REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge of environmental and social issues relating to the food system, and passionate about community food initiatives;
• Strong project management skills, including budget management and organizational skills;
• Experienced in leadership development;
• Proven ability to network and build partner relationships;
• Experience working with diverse communities;
• Solid experience in workshop development & delivery and/or adult education;
• Strategic thinker and creative problem solving skills, with a willingness to learn, experiment and adapt;
• Ability to empower, develop, motivate, and engage others in action, including experience with community volunteers;
• Understanding of policy development and policy change;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation and presentation skills;
• Comfortable in a highly collaborative organizational structure;
• Commitment to social and environmental justice;
• Grant writing and fundraising;
• Initiative, self-motivation and the ability to work independently;
• Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.

DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Food skills and literacy (e.g., cooking, preserving, gardening);
• Strong interest or experience in social enterprise and entrepreneurship;
• Comfortable with social media, blogging, and working with traditional media;
• Experience working with First Nations communities, African Nova Scotian, or other underrepresented communities;
• Understanding of health equity issues; and
• Experience using developmental evaluation.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that must be cultivated. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Start: Mid-November 2018
• End: February 28, 2020

37.5 hours per week @ $21-23/hour, based on experience. Cost-shared benefits plan and 4 weeks paid vacation per year.

Hours: Monday to Friday - 9 am to 5 pm. Some evening/weekend work will be required. Some travel required.

Location: This position will be based from the successful candidate’s home office in Cumberland.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter and resume, including two references, as a single PDF document to employment at ecologyaction.ca , attention to Satya Ramen. No phone calls please.

Application Deadline: 11:59pm on Sunday, November 4th, 2018.

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/909684

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/job=48690

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms