[sust-mar] Hiring - Species-at-risk Program Coordinator, Island Nature Trust, Charlottetown

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Dec 11 15:47:50 EST 2023

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

Species at Risk, Nature & Wildlife Conservation
https://GoodWork.ca/Conserve
https://GoodWork.ca/932696

Hiring: Species-at-risk Program Coordinator
Location: Charlottetown PE

Island Nature Trust is Prince Edward Island’s oldest private charitable land trust, protecting natural lands and waters for wildlife and people in perpetuity.

We are a membership-based organization directed by a volunteer board and supported by a small contingent of dedicated staff. There is currently an opportunity to join our team as a species-at-risk (SAR) program coordinator leading our SAR in agricultural ecosystems program.

About the Position

Reporting to the Manager of Species-at-Risk programming, the SAR Program Coordinator works in collaboration with stakeholders including private landowners and government, to plan and implement monitoring and engagement actions. This is a project that aims to increase nesting success of two threatened species, the Bobolink and Barn Swallow, by reducing the impacts of key agricultural practices on the nesting success of these species. During the field season, the coordinator should anticipate spending 75% - 85% of their time in the field monitoring and performing site assessments. This work typically includes early morning start times, some long days, and occasional weekend work.

Primary Responsibilities & Duties:
• Facilitate the timely and accurate collection and management of data essential to the conservation effort
• Communicate regularly with the Manager and external stakeholders
• Coordinate with landowners to ensure crew has access to field sites and keep landowners informed of plans and activities
• Collaborate with internal and external partners to answer core questions related to the recovery of Bobolink and Barn Swallow
• Prepare communication and landowner feedback materials for landowner participants and funders
• Assist with the training and supervision of summer program staff
• Analyze field data and prepare report of activities

Secondary Responsibilities & Duties:
• Assist with other Island Nature Trust programs and duties as requested by management
• Collaborate with fellow INT team members on social media posts and project information releases

Requirements:

Education
• Essential: Post-secondary degree in a conservation science or related field
• Desirable: Post-secondary training or equivalent work and/or volunteer experience in one of the following: communications, public engagement

Experience
• Essential: A minimum of one year’s experience in conservation biology, ecology, resource management or a related field
• Essential: Prior experience coordinating projects and supervising staff
• Desirable: Prior experience supervising staff

Skills
• Essential: Organized and methodical approach to working – manages time effectively, works to deadlines and is adaptable to modified work plans
• Essential: Ability to work independently, seek assistance and input as required, and to work in interdisciplinary teams
• Essential: Strong bird identification skills
• Essential: Strong written communication skills and an ability to organize and present information clearly

Knowledge
• Essential: Application of statistics to field data sets & corresponding comfort level with adherence to experimental design principles
• Essential: Prior experience using GIS software (eg. ArcGis, QGIS)
• Desirable: Familiarity with PEI’s agricultural community and landscapes, habitats, natural communities, and species

Personal Attributes
• Essential: Friendly and positive personality, team player
• Essential: A commitment to the mission and values of INT
• Desirable: Enjoy being active outdoors

Terms of Employment:
• This is a term position ending December 31, 2024 (with the possibility for extension). (37.5 hours/week) based in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
• Start date: As soon as possible
• Starting Salary is $25/hour
• Benefits include optional health/dental plan, paid holidays plus an additional three weeks paid vacation
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle are a requirement
• Must be a Canadian citizen or able to legally work in Canada

How to Apply

The closing date to apply is January 8, 2024, by 5 p.m. AST
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:

Island Nature Trust
P.O. Box 265 Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K4

Email: admin at islandnaturetrust.ca

By hand: 112 Longworth Ave, Charlottetown, PE

Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.

Incomplete applications will not be considered. While we will only be contacting those candidates selected for an interview, we do greatly appreciate your interest in the work of Island Nature Trust.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/932696

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/932696

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca