[sust-mar] Enviro Education Lead, full-time, ACAP Cape Breton, Sydney, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jan 31 14:10:30 EST 2023

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

Environmental Education Jobs
https://GoodWork.ca/Education
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia

Hiring: Education Lead
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia

About ACAP

ACAP Cape Breton is an environmental non-profit organization that offers the knowledge that Cape Bretoners need to make greener choices, and works directly on practical solutions that help protect and restore our natural environment. Since its beginning in 1992, ACAP Cape Breton has evolved into a dynamic group that integrates environmental, social and economic factors into projects focusing on action, education and ecosystem planning. Environmental action and education is our passion. ACAP offers a variety of services including hands on education, community education, stream and habitat restoration, community cleanups, and so much more!

Education Lead

ACAP Cape Breton is seeking an Education Lead to be based at our office in Sydney, Nova Scotia. The successful candidate will oversee our education program planning and delivery, including a significant amount of time developing and delivering environmental education activities for schools, youth programs, and camps. The position also includes communication with teachers and principals, other community organizations, including Mi’kmaw organizations, with municipalities and councils.

This position reports to the Executive Director and has 1-2 direct reports from September through April. In the summer months, the Education lead also supervises a small cohort of education interns.

Our hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm, but with significant flexibility outside fixed programs and meetings. Occasional evening and weekend programming is required, but you will be given time-in-lieu/banked time to compensate.

The start date for the position is negotiable; we anticipate a start date between March 20th and April 17th, 2023.

Closing date: February 24, 2023

Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter to jobs at acapcb.ns.ca with “Education Lead” in the email subject line. For a position of this type, we advise submitting a resume of no more than three pages, and a cover letter of 1-2 pages. Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.

We are committed to equity in our hiring practices and operational practices. If you have questions about this position that are not covered by this description, you are welcome to contact Kathleen Aikens ( ed at acapcb.ns.ca ).

Anticipated salary: $25/hour (negotiable)

Benefits: Vacation time starts at 6% paid vacation, with an additional paid week during December holidays. We observe 14 paid holidays annually. We also have paid personal & family sick days (up to 15 annually).

Access to employee health benefits and Employee Assistance Program (EAP) with 75% employer coverage for both individual and family plans;

Ability to set your own schedule within the required program parameters; Flexibility to take advantage of professional learning opportunities on work time.

Work hours: 35 hours/week, Monday-Friday, with occasional weekend work

The main responsibilities of the position include:
• Working with the Executive Director to implement ACAP’s long range plan and strategic planning priorities into an educational program plan.
• Ensuring that education program deliverables, outcomes, and impact are met within budgeted means, supported by the Executive Director and Finance Administrator.
• Leading ACAP CB’s afterschool and in-school programming.
• Supervising and supporting ACAP educators and summer interns.
• Liaising with other team leads to integrate environmental science and new ACAP CB projects into learning programs.
• Working with a diversity of organizational partners, from schools to municipalities to Mi’kmaq organizations to provincial and national environmental organizations.
• Supporting grant writing for educational programs.

Required skills and experience:
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in educational fields and/or educational programming. This could include formal school systems, higher education, and other non-profit organizations. We count volunteer and part-time experience, as well as combined experience across a variety of programs. Experience in science communication and/or environmental education would be a very strong asset.
• Enthusiasm for working with children and youth. If the idea of planning and delivering day-long programming to 20 ten-year olds energizes you, this job may be a good fit.
• Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to work with uncertainty. Much of our programming takes place outdoors and can require last-minute adjustments due to weather conditions.
• Ability to work outdoors for up to four hours at a time and participate in short walks and environmental learning activities in forests, wetlands, streams, and coastal areas.
• Strict adherence to safety protocols, in particular for outdoor activities with minors.
• Respect for different means of learning, including culturally diverse modes, neurodiversity, physical adaptations required to participate in outdoor learning, etc.
• Commitment to incorporating environmental justice into your work, including respect for Indigenous land rights.
• Ability to work with a team and learn from others’ knowledge and experience. This is a team where we’re not afraid to respond “I don’t know” to a question or problem and seek others’ advice. Commitment to continuous learning is a core ACAP element.
• Problem-solving from the micro to the macro: e.g. from “how do I adapt to a classroom that is not engaging in the material?” to “how do I translate these funder priorities into program activities?”
• Experience supervising and/or mentoring staff or interns (strongly preferred, but willing to work with strong candidates to develop management skills).

Assets (helpful but not required or expected):
• Formal education related to learning & education and/or environmental studies or sciences.
• Solid writing skills, including any experience writing for public consumption or writing grants.
• Experience in program administration and evaluation (not limited to education or nonprofit contexts).
• Graphic design experience (e.g., working with Canva).

If you don’t possess all of the required skills and experience listed, but have other assets you feel are relevant, please apply!

Interview process

We will hold initial interviews in early March and follow-up interviews that include a teaching demo (details and support will be provided). We will provide a cash honorarium of $50 to all candidates who are asked to complete a teaching demo.

https://GoodWork.ca/910866

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/910866

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca