[CANUFNET] Water and the Growing Urban Canopy

John Grindon John_Grindon at brinkman.ca
Tue Jun 19 16:45:09 EDT 2007

As installers and maintainers of municipal trees, whether
boulevards/landscape naturalizations/stormwater pond
treatments/commercial & institutional landscapes, we have encountered
one constant where irrigation is concerned: healthy soils reduce water
consumption requirements. It's a self-evident fact that is regularly
forgotten within the competitive bid environment. Over the last several
years we have worked with a variety of prepared growing media spanning
the entire range of commercially available products. The results have
generally been consistent over the range of diverse applications: soils
containing plant-available micronutrients decrease the need for frequent
irrigation (and coincidentally, require less weeding and invasive
control). Innovative irrigation will go along way toward lessening the
restoration footprint, particularly where municipal street planting is
concerned; innovation at the point of installation will assist even
further.

John Grindon
Urban Restoration Manager
Brinkman & Associates Ltd