[CANUFNET] Water retention and tree planting

Mark Peterson mpa at golden.net
Mon Aug 20 09:13:10 EDT 2007

MessageHello Ian:
In our work in S. Ontario we likely get more rain than you do but we have had some extended droughts in the past nine years.

We always mulch our restoration areas (the whole planting area not just the plant areas) with wood mulch that has been tub-ground as fine as possible but not too fine (or too course). Too fine and it disappears too fast; too course and it does not knit together to form a moisture barrier and is difficult to spread evenly by heavy equipment. Experience has shown that mulch that is up to 12 inches plus deep has not resulted in any problems. In fact we have found that, over time, the deeper the mulch the richer the resulting soil and the faster the plantings grow. (Mulch is not mounded up around plant stems.)

We have used compost as a soil amendment to a mineral soil (about 2:1 to 3:1 soil/compost). The soils in our area can be high clay so the planting soils are saturated until the growth of the plantings begin to draw moisture out of the soil.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Peterson, BES, MLArch, OALA
Mark Peterson & Associates, Landscape Architect
(519)743-2990        www.openspacesolutions.com