[CANUFNET] Mountain beetle etc.

Tyler Wist twist660 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:20:53 EDT 2007

Hi Jack,
I don't have any information for you about a Biological Repellent but I am interested in hearing whatever information you have about it.  I have heard about a pheromone package (can't remember the name) that is attached to a healthy tree to trick the beetles into thinking that the tree is heavily infested so that they will leave it alone.  I have heard mixed reports about it but it seems like a great start to solving the problem.
Sorry that I could not be much more help,
Tyler Wist

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:51:09 -0400From: jack.sloggett at gmail.comTo: canufnet at list.web.netSubject: [CANUFNET] Mountain beetle etc.I am investigating biological repellents or biological pesticides targeted at beetles like the Mountain Pine Beetle, Emerald Ash Borer, Asian longhorn beetle etc.  I have been contacted by a group that claims to have a biological solution, at least to the Mountain Pine Beetle.  Before pursuing anything, I would like to understand more about what has been done to date, and if there are any solutions in the pipeline.  The only currently effective solution seems to be cut and destroy infected trees, which isn't effective at all. Can anyone direct me to sources or contacts for information?Thanks for your help.Jack C. Sloggett  BScF10 Wanita RoadMississauga ON L5G 1B1Office   (905) 465-1859Cell      (905) 866 - 4103 jack.sloggett at gdg.ca