[CANUFNET] long-term effects of poor transplanting

netami.stuart at utoronto.ca netami.stuart at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 6 10:37:52 EDT 2007

Hi there,
I'm inspecting an urban creek restoration project where the contractor
is planting caliper trees and then not giving them an initial watering
until several days later.  The contract administrator and I are trying
to encourage better tree planting practices by fining the contractor
for not carrying out the planting as specified.  We need to be able to
say to the client that by not watering the trees initially upon
planting, there will be long-term as well as short-term consequences.

I know that trees suffer short-term shock and stress during
transplanting, especially if they are not watered properly.  Can this
shock and stress have _long-term_ effects on the health of the tree if
it survives the transplanting? Will the tree be in poorer health 20-50
years down the road if it withstood severe shock during transplanting?

Any thoughts and references will be an encouragement to the Ontario
landscaping industry to adhere to proper planting procedures.

Thanks!
Netami Stuart