[CANUFNET] (no subject)

Andy Kenney a.kenney at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 12 16:23:09 EDT 2007

Good afternoon:

Steve Colombo asked me to forward this invitation to you.  I have not
included the survey form here as I'm concerned the formatting might not hold
up for everyone.  You can access it at the web site provided below if you
wish.

http://fgo.ca/survey.pl

If you have any questions, please direct them to Steve.

Cheers,

Andy

***

At the CIF meeting in Toronto, there was discussion following my
presentation concerning the need for transfer of climate change information
to urban foresters by MNR. In this regard, I am forwarding an announcement
of a meeting on how to deal with issues of what seed source to plant given
concerns about climate change. Please share this announcement with your
colleagues in urban forestry. They are welcome to attend the conference,
which will be in Sault Ste. Marie on November 14-15. There is no
registration fee. Registration is available online at www.fgo.ca.

Also attached is a survey the organizing committee is distributing to
provide conference organizers and speakers insight into how people think
about and are acting on seed management and climate change. You and others
in urban forestry can answer the survey online at www.fgo.ca.

Yours truly,

Steve Colombo

Ontario Forest Research Institute
c/o Centre for Northern Forest Ecosystem Research
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON
P7B 5E1

Ph. 807-343-4020
Fax 807-343-4001

You can help ensure a proper plan

for managing our tree seed resources

under climate change:

Just take a few minutes to complete our survey!

About climate change and tree seed resources .

Climate change presents many challenges to sustainable forest management:
The long life of tree species and long rotation cycles mean that the effects
of today's decisions can persist for a century or more. In addition, many of
our tree species have large ranges, and the adaptive variation among
populations compounds the complexity of making reforestation decisions based
on an uncertain future climate.

Climate change is expected to cause more weather extremes and
weather-related emergencies, such as drought, flood, and forest fires. Other
impacts could include seed crop interruptions, forest health issues, and
local climate changes, all of which add to current natural and artificial
regeneration challenges.

How this conference will help .

On November 14-15, 2007, in Sault Ste. Marie, the Ontario Ministry of
Natural Resources Climate Change Initiative and Forest Genetics Ontario are
hosting a conference on

Adapting to Climate Change: Managing Tree Seed in an Uncertain Climate

(To register, go to www.fgo.ca <http://www.fgo.ca/> ).

This conference will focus on seed movement and regulation tools
(guidelines/zones), the science behind identifying and predicting patterns
of adaptive variation response to climate change, the need to revise seed
movement decision-making, and reforestation aspects of management planning
under climate change.  Conference goals are:

1.  To build awareness about climate change and its potential impacts on the
deployment of forest genetic resources, for example, seed transfer
guidelines, seed source bulking, seed banking, and tree improvement
strategies

2.  To open a debate among those concerned about impacts of climate change
on forest genetic resources

3.  To develop a roadmap for future actions promoting adaptation of forests
to future climate

By completing our survey, YOU can help the conference and our future plans
succeed:

You can help ensure the success of this conference by giving organizers and
speakers more insight into how people think about and are acting on seed
management and climate change.  Preliminary survey findings will be
presented at the conference along with presentations by Canadian and
American experts in climate change and genetic resource management.

This survey is simple and should take at most 20 minutes to complete. You
can complete it one of two ways:

1. Online at www.fgo.ca <http://www.fgo.ca/>

2. By fax or mail - print and complete form below and mail to:

            Forest Genetics Ontario - 705-942-9140 (fax)

            510 Queen, Suite 24

            Sault Ste Marie, ON

            P6A 2A1

If you have any questions about this survey, please contact:

Kathleen Brosemer, FGO, 705-942-4907

What will happen after the conference?

Forest Genetics Ontario and its provincial technical forum will continue to
discuss, develop and promote ways of handling these questions among their
members and partners including OMNR, forest industry and forest conservation
groups.