[CANUFNET] Question

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Wed Nov 14 13:52:04 EST 2007

Hi all

I've been asked to give a presentation on urban forestry to a group of
Canadian forestry professionals and policy makers.

I have a question for you as I develop my presentation.  There have been
a number of studies in the U.S. that have looked at the impacts of
urbanization on the urban forest, e.g. Washington, DC lost 65% of it's
tree canopy between 1985 and 1997.

Although Toronto, Calgary, Oakville and Kelowna have completed tree
canopy / UFORE analyses that measure the existing tree cover right now,
I'm not aware of any studies that have looked at tree canopy losses over
time, or what kind of impacts have already been seen due to
urbanization.

Does anybody know of other studies that have looked at this issue in
Canada?

thanks, Ian

Ian Wilson, MPM, RPF, Certified Arborist

Urban Forestry Supervisor

Parks

City of Kelowna Recreation, Parks and Cultural Services

Phone: (250) 469-8842

Fax: (250) 862-3335

Parks

1359 KLO Road