[CANUFNET] Trees as public assets

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Wed Dec 12 11:35:47 EST 2007

Our city is currently going through a process to account for all of our
public assets - apparently this is now required under provincial and/or
federal law.  I'm assuming that other cities across Canada must be doing
the same thing, if you haven't already.  So we're looking at all of our
park benches, buildings, land, etc.

However, when it comes to trees, I've been told that trees are not part
of the process, at least at this point.  I think this is probably
because the accountants don't really understand trees as assets, and
that they have a value (and that they appreciate over time, rather than
depreciate).   I believe that the same issue came up in the United
States a couple years ago and that the U.S. cities did end up accounting
for their tree assets as well.

Assuming that some of you are going through this same process, my
question is, are any of you submitting your tree asset values?  We have
already done the necessary appraisal calculations for our tree inventory
and I suspect that some of you have done so too.

thanks, Ian

Ian Wilson, MPM, RPF, Certified Arborist

Urban Forestry Supervisor

Parks

City of Kelowna Recreation, Parks and Cultural Services

Phone: (250) 469-8842

Fax: (250) 862-3335

Parks

1359 KLO Road