[CANUFNET] need examples of civil cases

Ron Carter Ron.Carter at saanich.ca
Mon Jan 14 13:28:34 EST 2008

Hi Shelly.
Our Municipal Solicitor informs me that our only public tree cutting case that he can recall went to court (others settled outside of court) was the following:
The case was Saanich vs Dykhuizen, 1989 63 DLR 4th 211. It was for the removal of 6 trees on Lochside. It went to the BC Court of Appeal and established the principle that the ISA formula for determining tree value was an acceptable measure of damages for a claim in trespass. Saanich was awarded $6371 in compensatory damages (The ISA formula for those trees) plus $1000 punitive damages. This was precedent setting.

We have settled on ISA formula (Guide for Plant Appraisal) amounts for trees numerous times. Our estimates are always conservative but realistic.
Our Municipal Arborist also reminded me that Vancouver City went after a resident for poisoning a fir in Stanley Park for view in which citizens were outraged by that incident. I believe the city was awarded in that case through the courts.
Ron Carter
Saanich Parks

Hello everyone,
We recently obtained a guilty charge in Provincial Offences Court for an individual who removed two mature red pines from the boulevard in Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Our lawyer did not ask for a large fine because the evidence was largely circumstantial and he wanted to obtain a guilty charge, so that we could pursue the case in civil court.   Now that we have obtained that, we will be suing for the value of the two trees.

I am interested in obtaining leads on cases that CANUFNET members are aware of where the value of an urban tree was successfully (or even not successfully) obtaining through legal action.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Shelley Vescio  RPF
City Forester
Thunder Bay, Ontario
(807) 625-2473

_____________________________________________________ The information transmitted by electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. The sender does not waive any related rights or obligations. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information, by persons or entities other than the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.