[CANUFNET] Tangible Capital Asset Registry - Reporting Trees andUrban Forest Assets

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Mon Mar 17 10:42:37 EDT 2008

Hi Russell,

I sent out a similar inquiry a couple months ago but didn't hear
anything back.

The City of Kelowna is also in the process of reporting on our tangible
assets.  However, at this point we've been told that they don't want any
information on trees or other living assets - this might be coming
later, but in the mean time they only want our "grey infrastructure".

We have a complete inventory of all of our "planted" trees and the
inventory includes appraised values, as per the ISA appraisal "trunk
formula".  You can also come up with an estimated value of your tree
resource using sampling protocols, as you are probably aware.  So we are
working on the premise that our trees are capital assets that appreciate
over time, but we don't know if this will be accepted by PSAB.

I would also be very interested to learn what you, and other
municipalities are doing.  I don't think the accountants really know how
to handle this.  We as municipal arborists, should probably be making
recommendations to the PSAB on the appropriate way to track these
assets.  Perhaps through CANUFNET we can get a group together to come up
with a strategy.

Ian Wilson, RPF, Certified Arborist
Urban Forestry Supervisor
City of Kelowna