[CANUFNET] Boulevard Plantings

Guy Martin gbmartin at langleycity.ca
Wed Mar 26 14:57:56 EDT 2008

Hello all,

We have currently been planting trees on city owned boulevards.
Basically a strip of turf 1-2 meters wide between the sidewalk and the
road...this is in residential areas.

As you can imagine we have encountered both positive and negative
comments from various homeowners. In the past we have planted our
properties and boulevard strips without much of a problem and have just
gone ahead and done so.

The road we are currently or rather I should say were working on, also
happens to be the Mayor's road (election year), and he is getting heat
from some neighbors.

We are now sending out a letter informing that we are doing this albeit
it is late and rather obvious that this is going on.

This is not a new development but an established area that has decent
tree cover now, larger estate lots that will most likely be zoned for a
higher density in the next 10 or so years, with tree removal occurring
then, so it would be nice to have our street trees established.

I would like to inquire what other municipalities do or have done for
this type of scenario.

Do you plant trees where residents request them not to be?

Do you only plant where residents are receptive and skip those that are
not?

Do you conduct a survey of an area and plant if a certain % of
affirmative is reached?

What about planting on municipal property with no boulevard strip
directly in front of residents home?

Any insight on this problem is welcome!

Thanks,

Guy Martin