[CANUFNET] Boulevard Plantings

Spahl, Randall Randall.Spahl at calgary.ca
Thu Mar 27 19:07:49 EDT 2008

Guy,

The survival of a new tree in front of a residence in Calgary depends
largely on the good will of the resident.  Most residents / homeowners
are neutral or positive, but where we know they are not we usually do
not plant at that site.  Operational - budget planting (replacement of
trees where they have been removed on boulevard strips and in parks)
does not survey areas for consent; each site is dealt with as an
individual.

We treat plant sites that lie between the sidewalk and the house
differently.  Sites between the curb and the sidewalk are always
replanted if utility locates are OK and the resident / homeowner is not
adverse.  Site on municipal property between the sidewalk and the house
have for many years not been replanted except by special request (the
'Planting Incentive Program').  As a result a large number of these
'front yard' (or side yard) planting sites have become vacant.  Recently
a project was launched to address these sites - the NeighborWoods
Program.  This program targets older communities, surveys these and
factors in overall community response when deciding which communities to
plant in.  Even so, sites at residences where the people are not
receptive are not planted.

Many newer communities do not have sidewalks or 'boulevard' strips in
front of the houses on the quiet streets, only on the arterials.
Replacement of trees on municipal property in these communities will
require more engagement with the public than we have been accustomed to.

Cheers,

Randall Spahl
City of Calgary
Parks, Urban Forestry

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a
person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the
intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution,
or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in
it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or
delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by
us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and co-operation.