[CANUFNET] Frazinus ssp. -do their roots plug drainage systems

Tony Puddicombe puddicombe at telus.net
Mon Apr 7 13:08:13 EDT 2008

Does anyone have experience with Fraxinus ever having entered and
plugged perforated drainage pipe? I assume the deeper the pipe the less
chance of it happening. I am only familiar with Salix, and sometimes
Thuja plicata, doing this. My feeling is that a tree's roots would not
search out drain tiles unless it was suffering drought conditions. The
water held in the soil is a much more constant supply with adequate
rain.
My client has a neighbour whose house foundations are 15 feet from the
base of a 35 foot high Fraxinus. The foundations are 3 feet below
finshed grade. The neighbour worries the trees roots will grow into her
perimeter drain pipes. Any comments?
Tony Puddicombe
Arboriculture consultant PNW #0400A