[CANUFNET] Frazinus ssp. -do their roots plug drainage systems

Jeremy Gye jgye at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 8 00:33:08 EDT 2008

Hi Tony,
I hope this e-mail finds you well after all these years.
I don't have a lot of experience with Fraxinus roots specifically, but its
not an unreasonable concern to have with any healthy, vigorous deciduous
tree of that size and habit growing close to a house.  Assuming a stem
diameter of roughly 12", the drains are coming within striking distance of
the calculated root extent of the tree and this will only increase as the
tree gets bigger.  I would have thought that a nice subterreanean perimeter
drain would make a fine place for an opportunistic root system to head for
(deep, damp, cool, aerated etc).  The question becomes what to do about it?
Mike James may have a suggestion for you (DeepRoot Canada), if your client
is averse to a little drain maintenance.

Best regards,

Jeremy Gye (Victoria, BC)

  _____