[CANUFNET] skating rinks & flooding trees

netami.stuart at utoronto.ca netami.stuart at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 26 11:32:10 EDT 2008

Hi all,

We're redesigning a park in downtown Toronto where residents flood the
open field area every winter to make a small informal skating rink
contained by snowbanks.

There are a number of mature trees on the site adjacent to the area
that is flooded: a couple of Silver Maples both around 30 cm DBH in
good health and a couple of Austrian Pines also around 30 cm, one with
more diplodia, lots of sapsucker holes and a lean, the other in fair
health.

In the past, the neighbours have flooded up to the dripline of the
trees, but they want to expand their rink.  In our discussions with
the community they have inquired whether it would be harmful to flood
right up to the tree stems and skate among the trees.  I didn't know
the answer, but thought someone on this list might.  The trees are
planted in a relatively flat park lawn and there are no roots showing
above ground at this time.  In fact, it looks as if the trees have
been slightly backfilled. The rink flooding only takes place once the
ground has frozen and naturally melts in the spring. I have not yet
obtained soils information on the park, but it is available.

I also wonder what the effect of winter flooding would be on newly
planted trees that may be part of our re-design.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Netami Stuart
P M A LANDSCAPE  ARCHITECTS
224 Wallace Ave, #321, Toronto, ON, M6H 1V7
t: 416-239-9818	f: 416-239-1310    e: netami at pmalarch.ca
www.pmalarch.ca