[CANUFNET] skating rinks & flooding trees

Todd Irvine toddirvine at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 27 01:09:14 EDT 2008

Hi Netami,

the possibility of skating right under trees sounds wonderful. To
address Mark's concerns they could construct a square of 2x6s around
each tree (1 meter from trunk) to hold back the ice, and in turn
protect the trunk from skates, pucks, etc. This would also address
any liability concerns about having large solid objects (that people
could collide with) in the middle of an ice rink.

One other thing to consider is that the ground below the ice will
likely stay frozen later into the spring, which could perhaps delay
the commencement of root growth.

Todd

Todd Irvine, MFC, MA, ISA Certified Arborist
Urban Forestry Consultant
Bruce Tree Expert Company Ltd.
www.brucetree.com
647.885.0973