[CANUFNET] Removal of trees for replacement of water lines

Moskalyk, Linda (IS - Parks) Linda.Moskalyk at Saskatoon.ca
Thu Nov 27 12:07:14 EST 2008

We recently had a valuable American elm removed from our boulevard because the engineers (management) made a decision to replace a hydrant and insisted the tree beside it would have to come down. Our urban forestry people were told that they needed to excavate 4 feet on each side of the hydrant to replace it.  The tree was only 2 feet away.  We reluctantly removed the tree, and now there is an uproar from the community.  As the tree was coming down some of the enginneers (field workers this time) came along and said they probably could have worked within that 2 foot area.  Its hard to know who to believe.  Alternately, could the hydrant have been capped off and the line rerouted to a new location?  We are arbortists and don't know the options when it comes to sewer and water.  We want to have the knowledge and ability to argue for alternative methods that could potentially save the trees.   Is there any good information or advice on the subject?

Linda Moskalyk
Certified Arborist
Urban Forestry Section
Parks Dept.