[CANUFNET] Canopy Cover

pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca pwynnyczuk at richmondhill.ca
Wed Mar 18 09:39:44 EDT 2009

Andy I do support your position that one size does not fit all. Although
the information below may be over simplistic ...but you are looking at a
20 - 40 year window for significant benefits regardless of the goal of
forest cover.

Factors are based, coming from a farming community that developed over the
last 25 years from a population  of 40,000 to 185,000, with most vegetated
areas limited to some valley lands and smaller tracts of woodlots. This is
not unlike many other Greater Toronto area municipalities faced with
development pressures.
 The move to 40% cover or a locally set target, 15%, 25% should be
determined in my  opinion after:

1) An inventory even at a high level using aerial or remote sensing data
to establish the baseline forest  cover.

2) Next  one would have to look at the current zoning of the undeveloped
parcels of lands to determine what opportunities may present themselves
for existing or future forest area. Conditions could be placed on the
undeveloped lands pro-activley if there is a strong commitment by all
participants.

3) Evaluate the local Councils position on what the aim is for percentage
of residential, commercial, manufacturing, and industrial  lands, ie. 70%
residential, 15% commercial. 15% manufacturing as a tax base.  This  helps
determine the forest cover opportunities based on Council + Corporate
Policy/Strategic Plan direction.  This also helps to cross reference the
existing zoning to be used with the Corporate direction to see if there is
a forecast change in existing zoning to meet Planning Policy,  at some
point in the future.  This would also help review for existing/potential
forest cover as part of development. There is an opportunity here to
introduce as part of the Planning Policy, a  percentage of a development
for forest cover or cash in lieu for smaller sites to be used to acquire
forested sites. This, if successful would set the Development tone around
forest cover and potentially raise the profile for protection of existing
woodlots/hedgerows as part of the development  process.
Further cross referencing the Upper Tier level of Government, ie.
Regional, County, on their official plan and secondary plans can help
identify opportunities for green space/forested areas retention.
Conservation Authorities play a significant role in the watershed areas on
forest cover and should be part of the consultation process. Provincial
role is determined by the local policies set out in legislation and should
be incorporated in the strategy .The above  can help develop links on
common goal projects which can be presented  in a coordinated manner when
development applications come in.

4) Evaluate existing  public lands/open space for tree cover in tangent
with projected community use of the area to determine the local focus of
the community and demographics for the specific site. ie., recreational
facilities and types of use for the area , ie., picnic trails system,
leisure sports, all have an impact on the viability of adding forest
cover.

5) Of existing sites under ownership by a public agency review of site
specific vegetation and soil structure to determine what would be
appropriate plantings and areas. Also determine percentage of existing
cover as a baseline that could be added too. Long term plans can be
created for phased enhancement/maintenance as resources allow.

6) Developing a municipal private tree bylaw can help raise the awareness
of the benefit of trees on private lands, set the tone for the local
Council commitment to the protection of  forest cover, and potentially
help improve the planting, maintenance of the existing private trees.

6) Have a strategy for the public relations, both internal and external of
the Municipality for presentations for the entire process and development
of community involvement.

Monitor the changes such that they can be reported on to interested
parties to update on percentage of change in forest cover.
Further have some flexibly in the program to act quickly when land
acquisition opportunities arise that meet the criteria for forest cover
enhancement. This would be determined at the inventory stage to help
monitor or actively approach the property owner(s) of the public interest
in enhancing forest cover.

This could be fine tuned...but may help some in the process.
A bit of a dream maybe but parts are attainable with commitment   ....long
term of course.
Other thoughts?

Peter Wynnyczuk

"Andy Kenney" <a.kenney at utoronto.ca>
Sent by: canufnet-bounces at list.web.net

03/17/2009 09:14 PM
Please respond to
Canadian Urban Forest Network <canufnet at list.web.net>

"'Canadian Urban Forest Network'" <canufnet at list.web.net>
cc

Subject
[CANUFNET] Canopy Cover

I think this question of “where did the 40% canopy cover” value come from,
as raised by Dale, is an very important one.  My guess is that it has been
passed along from an estimate that American Forests came up with. However,
when pressed, even AF admits that “one size doesn’t fit all”.  I am
concerned that this new-found interest in increasing canopy cover to some
magic number is, in fact, setting urban forest management back!

Some food for thought:

1)      Such numbers are seldom based on an understanding of what the
community’s carrying capacity is, so we assume there is room to achieve
40%.  Perhaps this might be theoretically possible in many communities but
WHERE is the 40% (what land-use type, what ownership, is it strategically
located, etc.)?
2)      Since most of our urban forest is on private property, reaching
meaningful canopy cover targets means that we will have to rely heavily on
the private sector not only to establish trees but to TAKE CARE OF THEM
for many decades.  Do the communities proposing dramatic increases in
canopy cover have well-developed community engagement programmes to
deliver on this?  I have yet to see one even getting close.
3)      Expansion of canopy cover is highly sensitive to mortality rates.
What is the mortality rate in your municipality?  If we are to increase
canopy cover (often by breathtaking amounts) we surely must have some idea
of how quickly we are LOSING cover?  I often hear communities state that
they have planted X number of trees this year, how often is that number
accompanied by the number of trees removed.  Oh, and remember, planting a
60 mm B&B doesn’t account for removing a 900 mm veteran. We don’t have any
meaningful estimates of mortality rates that I am familiar with.  Numbers
can be picked out of thin air or educated guesses can be made, but do we
have any scientifically-based mortality rates?  That is just mortality
given the usual rigors of city life for trees.  When we factor in climate
change, invasive insects, infill development, etc. ……
4)      Planting may cost $600 per tree but that isn’t the cost of the
tree.  Perhaps we should be suggesting that no tree be planted on city
property unless there is a long-term commitment from council to provide
the resources needed AT LEAST to ensure that the tree lives long enough to
contribute to the environmental, social and economic well-being of the
community.  Clearly, that takes some time.

But surely proposing expanding canopy cover can’t be a bad thing for our
urban forests!  I’m not so sure. I believe we are in a serious dilemma. It
seems that politicians and others are finally recognizing that urban
forests are important and need support.  But the “40%” solution or the
“expand canopy cover” approach is a painful oversimplification of what is
needed!  The trees that already exist, especially the large ones, are the
ones that are contributing to the social, economic and environmental
quality of our communities.  (On that note, does the community even have a
tree inventory to indicate the current status of the urban forest – not
the municipal forest but the entire urban forest?). There seems to be an
ever-increasing head-long rush to increase canopy cover with, what appears
to be little regard for the issues I raised above. Remember, canopy cover
alone tells us very little about the state of our urban forests (nothing
about species diversity, size class distribution, tree condition, etc.).
This simplistically appealing approach, I fear, will shift any focus from
meaningful urban forest management/stewardship to a programme of tree
planting.

If your council wants to dramatically increase canopy cover I suggest you
first ask them why. Then, if you are convinced they really know, insist
that this programme to theoretically increase canopy cover is funded only
after your budgets to sustain the existing canopy are secure.  Then ask
them to guarantee that resources will be available to sustain the trees to
be planted in this expansion programme not for a few years after the
guarantee but right up to and including the removal of the big stump that
will be left after a BIG tree finally must come down.

Of course we must plant trees and yes canopy cover is one convenient but
simplistic measure of the extent of our urban forests, but it is incumbent
upon us as urban forestry professionals and stewards to make sure that
policy makers don’t  dumb-down the issues to such a degree that the real
tasks are left floundering and, after all the money is spent and the
silver-plated shovels have been put away, the urban forest is less
well-off.

Sorry for frothing at the mouth and the run –on sentences, but I was on a
roll!

Andy