[CANUFNET] Medians

Alison Bond alison.m.bond at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 21:27:08 EDT 2009

Ian,

In Collingwood (zone 5a...in southern Ontario's snowbelt) we find that
perennials tolerate snow better than shrubs as they don't get crushed.
We've tried Rosa rugosa, False Spirea, and Gro Low Fragrant Sumac with no
luck.  Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass has been extremely successful in a
1m median (irrigated) and curbside planting beds (not irrigated.)  It is cut
once a year in the early spring (cool season grass that greens up early) so
we have the benefit of the grass in the fall/winter.

As for trees, we had moderate luck with honeylocust in a 1m x 1m x 1m tree
vault (the road engineers designed the vaults and we came in afterwards to
'green things up.'  Covering the canopies with burlap over winter (not an
easy job) improved the survival rate.  The ones that survived their first
year seem to be doing (relatively) well 4 years later.

Inspired by the Quebec City Urban Forestry Conference tours, we recently
tried planting one of the Dutch Elm Disease resistant elm cultivars in a
boulevard (zone 4.)  After the first winter there was 100% survival for the
elms and serviceberry (A. canadensis), if you can believe it.  Honeylocust
was third.  Red oak (native to the area) did terribly.  We don't know if it
was stock from a warmer seed zone or if the red oak is just not able to
tolerate that much salt and snow (trees were often buried in 2m snowbanks.)
Anyway, I'd try the elm in in a median if I were planting trees.

Finally, I've noticed that if trees are tall enough to have some of the
canopy above the salt spray, they seem to pull through.  We planted four
freemani maples in a boulevard.  As you may know, they grow almost too fast
and the stock at planting was very tall.  The lower canopy was killed off by
the salt but the rest of the canopy seems to be doing OK...again about 4
years later.

Alison

Alison Bond OALA CSLA
Landscape Architect and Certified Arborist
Envision-Tatham