[CANUFNET] lighting in trees

Barwinsky, Martha MBarwinsky at winnipeg.ca
Wed May 6 10:28:51 EDT 2009

I am currently being inundated by our business improvements zones (BIZ)
to install lighting in the canopies of boulevard trees to "enhance" the
surrounding environment in the evening for patrons. We have rules in
place already on this type of lighting i.e. lights shall not be strapped
to the branches but draped, lights shall be removed each year by end of
February, use LED lights, etc. We have offered the alternative of
uplighting i.e. wrapping the trunks and main branches of the trees with
strand of lights but remove the lights each year to allow for expansion
of the stems. One BIZ area is proposing to hire a contractor to maintain
the uplighting so that the lights remain on the trunks and main branches
year round but are loosened annually to prevent girdling the trees. They
are accepting the risk of losing the lights if we have to remove one of
the trees or the lights interfere with any pruning.

Does anyone have similar requests from the business districts and if so
how do you handle the situation?

Martha Barwinsky

City Forester

City of Winnipeg