[CANUFNET] Light in trees

Barbara Heidenreich Barbara.Heidenreich at heritagetrust.on.ca
Thu May 21 11:54:18 EDT 2009

<<I am currently being inundated by our business improvements zones
(BIZ)
to install lighting in the canopies of boulevard trees to "enhance" the
surrounding environment in the evening for patrons>>

I would suggest to the BIZ that they install attractive street lamps,
preferably ones that are "dark skies" compliant. In addition to long
term maintenance issues already raised, in my opinion, allowing trees to
be draped with lights sends the wrong message to the public from the
City. Some of the issues include the following: (1) that "decorative
lighting' which is a waste of energy and a form of light pollution is
acceptable; (2) such lighting endorses the principle that natural
features are there simply to be used and/or enhanced for human
"benefit"; (3) tree growth may be prolonged by artificial light
(especially if it is HPS light) making the tree more susceptible to cold
injury; (4) there may as well be impacts on nesting birds and insects;
(5) too many trees are damaged by the ladders used to change bulbs or
failure to remove the wires as the trees grow.
This way of using trees is not a practice that should be encouraged.

Barbara Heidenreich
Natural Heritage Coordinator
Ontario Heritage Trust
10 Adelaide Street East, Suite 202