[CANUFNET] graft incompatilibity

Boone, Jeff (IS - Parks) Jeff.Boone at Saskatoon.ca
Mon Aug 17 10:22:00 EDT 2009

Hi

In Saskatoon, we are having problems with many of our black ash starting to decline when they are 15-20 years old.  They have a few different symptoms but typically we see leaf drop, branch death and delaminating bark.  All of the trees are grafted onto green ash root stock.  When we dissected the graft we saw a very clear line at the graft.  It looks like the graft did not form properly.  There was no obvious overgrowth at the graft but there is a kink at the graft that becomes more pronounced with age.  Not all black ash are affected but we only began planting in the early 90s.

Has anyone experienced graft problems with ash or similar symptoms in other trees?
Thanks

Jeff W. Boone
Entomologist B.Sc. M.Sc
(306) 975 3466