[CANUFNET] Modelling pollution effects on tree growth

Bruno Chicoine bruno.chicoine at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 14:12:56 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am sending you this message on behalf of two Environment Canada research scientists, Jean-Sébastien Landry and Yves Bourasse, but please respond to me at Bruno at treecanada.ca.  Thanks!

==============

We are considering developing a model to quantify the impact of ozone on the benefits provided by trees in urban areas, more specifically on their capacity to remove air pollution. This model would be used mainly to study hypothetical scenarios about future ozone levels and not for the assessment of the current benefits provided by urban trees.

The estimation of the benefits would probably be based on the Ufore model (http://www.ufore.org/) developed by the US Department of Agriculture. As for the impact of ozone, it would be based on exposure-response functions (ERFs) developed as part of the Aspen FACE experiment (http://aspenface.mtu.edu/). Given our objectives and our current understanding of the relationships between the different elements, here is what we would need. Of course, all of this does not have to come from a single source so do not hesitate to reply if you are only aware about one of the pieces.

1. Tree inventory at the municipal level
We would first need tree inventory data consistent with the Ufore model requirements. This data has to come from field sampling. More details could be provided about the exact information that is required by the model, but here are the main elements (additional information about the sampling plots is required).
- Tree species
- Diameter at breast height
- Height to base of live crown
- Total tree height
- Crown width
- Crown light exposure
- Percent canopy missing
- Crown dieback

2. A model of tree growth in urban areas
Since our ERFs are applied to the annual growth of trees and given that we are interested in the impact of ozone over many years, we would need some kind of "model" for the annual growth of trees in urban areas. This model would need to provide at least the aboveground volume (cu.m) of trees and their age. It could use all of the information coming from 1. above.

3. Relationship between a change in aboveground volume and a change in leaf area
Since our ERFs give the change in aboveground growth (in volume), we would need some relationship between such a change and a change in the leaf area (for deciduous and evergreen trees) because the air pollution removal in Ufore is based on the latter. Ideally, this relationship would be specific for trees in urban areas.

Others
- If you are aware of a model that would directly allow us to quantify the impact of ozone on the benefits provided by trees in urban areas (mostly in terms of air pollution removal), do not hesitate to indicate this.

- We could also be interested in doing something similar but based on particulate matter (PM) rather than ozone. We do not have ERFs for the impact of PM on tree growth though. If you are aware of elements that could be relevant for us in this regard, it would be appreciated.

 Bruno Chicoine
Project Manager, Tree Canada
402 - 222 Somerset St. West,
Ottawa, ON, K2P 2G3