[CANUFNET] Construction around Trees

Asmundson, Karen kasmundson at winnipeg.ca
Tue Nov 17 16:25:38 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

The City of Winnipeg is looking at adopting some higher tree protection and preservation standards, especially regarding our standard construction specifications.  To help prepare our engineers and construction contractors for potential changes and to educate them why and how trees must be protected, we are putting on a ½ day seminar on this topic in February.  We are hoping to invite either an engineer or construction company rep from somewhere that has had enhanced tree protection in place for many years (required tree protection zones, working with consulting arborists mandatory, correct root pruning by arborists when required, etc).  Have any of you worked with a specific member of this industry who was particularly successful in meeting these new challenges?  Have they been able to modify their processes or designs in ways that preserve trees and also allow them to make their bottom line?  If so please pass along any contact information to me.

Thanks very much

Karen Asmundson

Forestry Technician

City of Winnipeg

kasmundson at winnipeg.ca

(204) 986-4248

This communication is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential. Any other use, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by phone (204.986.4248) or reply to the message and then delete and destroy any copies of it.

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to; save trees & save the earth.