[CANUFNET] Ohio Buckeye, Aesculus glabra, Tree to be used on Public Property and if so how? Fruit toxicityissue

Les Misch lmisch at aet-group.com
Tue Jan 19 10:56:02 EST 2010

Hello,

I am uncertain of the toxicity of the fruit, however, those using Ohio
Buckeye may want to be mindful of the following. In addition to toxicity to
the public, there may be concerns regarding its toxicity on the biological
functions of aquatic or semi-aquatic organisms (plants, invertebrates,
amphibians, fish, etc.). If the toxins from the fruit (which can be leached
during decomposition) are entering water bodies, particularly sensitive
ones, via stormwater runoff is and are in a high enough concentration or
particularly toxic, could have long-term effects on aquatic organisms. If
the trees are being planted adjacent to a water body or other natural area
with sufficient water supply or soil moisture to allow mobility of the
toxins. There are a number of plant-derived toxic chemicals that can
adversely effect organisms if allowed to enter an organisms body (e.g.
ingestion, absorption, etc.).

Also offered for future consideration. I checked the Weediness score in the
Floristic Quality Assessment publication (MNR 1995) for Ohio Buckeye
(Aesculus glabra). The Weediness score is a rating system (assigned by a
panel of leading botanical experts in Ontario) to indicate a non-native
plants level of invasiveness. The Weediness score ranges from -1 (least
invasive) to -3 (most invasive). Ohio Buckeye has a score of "-1" which is
for non-native plants that have little or no impact on other vegetated
areas. Understanding that in many instances non-native plants have a greater
tolerance and resilience to growing conditions in built environments (i.e.
paved streetscapes, parking lots, etc.), it should at least be a primary
goal for those using non-native plants to avoid those that have a Weediness
score of "-2" or "-3".

Les Misch
Principal/Senior Ecologist

AET Group Inc.