[CANUFNET] Healthy tree definition

Travis Kennedy Travis.Kennedy at edmonton.ca
Wed Jan 27 18:16:51 EST 2010

Our Design and Construction standards touch briefly on "healthy" but add a number of other quality measurements to reinforce our intent:

Refer to section 02930 2.2 and 2.3  in Volume 5<http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/PermitsLicences/D_and_C_landscapsng.pdf>:  City of Edmonton Design and Construction Standards.

A design review comment that we like to make on submitted drawings from developers usually contains some or all of the wording below (this particular case is in reference to deciduous blvd. material):

"All trees to be high headed and exhibit a full and uniform crown, with a single dominant, well developed leader. Trees with broken or damaged or missing leaders will not be accepted. All plant material must conform to the City of Edmonton Design and Construction Standards."

This comment in combination with the standard helps prevent confusion about what is and isn't acceptable during our CCC / FAC inspection process.

Regards,

Travis Kennedy, BSc, AIT
River Valley, Forestry and Environmental Services
12304 - 107 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5J 2R7
p 780 496 4954