[CANUFNET] Preserving Trees in Subdivisions

Barbara Heidenreich Barbara.Heidenreich at heritagetrust.on.ca
Thu Feb 11 10:56:35 EST 2010

As you are in Ottawa, land use planning is under the Planning Act. That
legislation has several sections that enable planners to protect
trees...the most direct being through "site plan control" (section 41).
That section enables (under s. 41(7)(6) conditions of subdivision
approval to specify the retention or addition of:

" Walls, fences, hedges, trees, shrubs or other groundcover or
facilities for the landscaping of the lands or the protection of
adjoining lands".

You need to talk to the Commissioner of Planning ASAP.....

I have as a PDF, a short piece on using existing legislation in Ontario
to protect trees. Email me if you are interested.

~Barb

Barbara Heidenreich

Natural Heritage Coordinator

Ontario Heritage Trust