[CANUFNET] Tree wells and weeds

Ian Wilson IWilson at kelowna.ca
Fri May 14 14:55:26 EDT 2010

FYI - This might be of interest to other urban foresters.

We have a lot of open "tree wells", they are usually 4 or 6 feet square
tree pits in hardscape without a tree grate, and weeds have been an
on-going issue.  Especially now that we don't spray pesticides much
anymore.

We've been looking for some alternative solutions for a few years now.
One product that we have tried that seems to work pretty well are the
recycled rubber tree rings but of course the problem is that they are
round and don't come in the right sizes.  Recently we were able to find
a manufacturer who is going to custom make some large rubber tree mats
for us.  These are 100% recycled rubber, LEED certified, they come in a
variety of colours and I believe they are porous so they allow water and
air to pass.

We're going to try some out.  In case others are interested in trying
this, here's what we've been quoted by Eco-Flex out of Alberta
(shekhar at telus.blackberry.net):

46" X 46" @$70ea less 20% your discount = $54ea

72" X 72" @$95ea less 20% your discount = $76ea

Freight and tax extra.

Availability 2-3 weeks from the date of receipt of the P.O. Because this
is a non standard / special size order. Future orders of the same size
will expedited faster.

Ian Wilson, Park Services Manager

Civic Operations

TEL 250 469-8842

FAX 250 862-3335

City of Kelowna 1359 KLO road, Kelowna, BC  V1W 3N8  kelowna.ca
<http://www.kelowna.ca>