[CANUFNET] hybrid poplar tree hazard

Vince Rutter vince at rutterurbanforestry.ca
Wed Jun 16 09:52:40 EDT 2010

A client's neighbour owns two large hybrid poplar (similar to cottonwood)
trees that overhang his property.  They are healthy vigourous trees, both
with many codominant stems and are quite large (2 metre DBH).  That's pretty
big for here in Thunder Bay!  Over the past several years there have been
many occasions where branches have snapped and fallen which is typical of
the species.  The branches are anywhere from 2 inches to 5 or 6 in
diameter.  They are truly concerned about the tree and would like to compel
the owners to take action.
At best, we could clean the crown, reduce long branches and support included
branch connections by cabling but I don't feel that would greatly reduce the
risk of occasional limb breakage.  That said, have any of you condemned a
tree based on its species characteristics like these poplars?
This problem comes up fairly frequently here and it usually leads to tree
removal but in this case all parties involved can't come to an agreement.

Vince Rutter, RPF
ISA Certified Arborist
www.rutterurbanforestry.ca
807-627-6201