[CANUFNET] hybrid poplar tree hazard

Mead, Mark Mark.Mead at seattle.gov
Wed Jun 16 17:13:15 EDT 2010

Here in the Pacific Northwest, cottonwood are notorious for summer limb drop or as I call it "limb popoff". Examination of the branch collar at the site of popoff has an odd ball and socket appearance. We have been doing closer examinations of the cottonwood and removing branches that have branch unions that are perpendicular to the trunk and exhibit a large branch collar.
Nothing gets your attention like a large (14") diameter branch popping off a cottonwood from 60' feet up in the middle of the hottest day of the year at one of our well used beaches.