[CANUFNET] green ash decline

Boone, Jeff (IS - Parks) Jeff.Boone at Saskatoon.ca
Mon Jun 28 14:53:06 EDT 2010

In Saskatoon, many of our green ash are struggling this year.  We are seeing many trees with portions of the mid and upper crown dying and often the lower crown is struggling to leaf out.  In some cases the trees have not leafed out at all.  The damage is widespread throughout the city.  The trees are of mixed age but many are well established.  I'm wondering if other prairie cities are seeing green ash fail to leaf out with significant dieback in the crown.

We suspect the cause is abiotic.  Not sure if this is part of the story but we had very unusual Fall weather.  We had an early snow fall in October, exceptionally warm weather in November and then a very sudden drop in December with no snow cover.  We also had two weeks of warm weather in January.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff W. Boone
Entomologist B.Sc. M.Sc